Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flya380

Hey folks,

I'm an FO at a regional and I am thinking about getting my ATP before upgrade. My only issue is the PIC time. I have 1600 totals with 320 PIC and 1200 SIC. According to the regs to get the full ATP I need 1200 PIC. I know I can use half ofmy SIC time towards the total PIC but even with that I am still short. 320 + 600= 920 PIC.

My written expires soon and I can't wait for another 600 hours of SIC. I know also I can take the flight test but I should get a restriction on my certificate saying I don't meet the ICAO PIC requirement.

Anybody has done that before? How can you remove the restriction once you reach the 1200 PIC? Does it mean I can still be a captain if i stay in the US?

Thanks for all your infos

Hey folks,

I'm an FO at a regional and I am thinking about getting my ATP before upgrade. My only issue is the PIC time. I have 1600 totals with 320 PIC and 1200 SIC. According to the regs to get the full ATP I need 1200 PIC. I know I can use half ofmy SIC time towards the total PIC but even with that I am still short. 320 + 600= 920 PIC.

My written expires soon and I can't wait for another 600 hours of SIC. I know also I can take the flight test but I should get a restriction on my certificate saying I don't meet the ICAO PIC requirement.

Anybody has done that before? How can you remove the restriction once you reach the 1200 PIC? Does it mean I can still be a captain if i stay in the US?

Thanks for all your infos

Just a note for you. Your written stays valid since you are employed by a 121 carrier. Are you just trying to get your ATP so you can get on with another company?

hmmm... I haven't looked at these mins in a longtime, and I thought the 1200 PIC you state was a little high, so I pulled out my ol' part 61, and I only see you need 250 PIC...am I missing something?
61.159(a)(4)

Guess that's what you get when you don't pay your dues with some PIC flying before moving into a right seat position.

hmmm... I haven't looked at these mins in a longtime, and I thought the 1200 PIC you state was a little high, so I pulled out my ol' part 61, and I only see you need 250 PIC...am I missing something?
61.159(a)(4)

Well at first I thought there might be an FAR vs ICAO conflict, so I looked up the ICAO requirements for ATP. They pretty much mirror the FAA requirements in terms of flight time required. So I'm a bit stumped as to where that 1200 might be coming from, unless it's a company specific requirement.

Last edited:
This is coming from the regs part 61:

You may be issued an ATP certificate with the endorsement "Holder does not meet the pilot in command aeronautical experience requirements of ICAO," if you
  1. Credit SIC or flight-engineer time toward the 1,500 hr. total flight time requirement
  2. Do not have at least 1,200 hr. of flight time as a pilot, including no more than 50% of your SIC time and none of your flight-engineer time
  3. Otherwise meet the aeronautical experience requirements
    NOTE: The endorsement described in item c. above will be removed when you present satisfactory evidence of the accumulation of 1,200 hr. flight time as a pilot including no more than 50% of your SIC time and none of your flight-engineer time
So I made a mistake by stating it was 1200 PIC, it's actually 1200 of flight time as a pilot where your SIC time counts for only half.

How can you remove the restriction once you reach the 1200 PIC? Does it mean I can still be a captain if i stay in the US?

Well these two I can answer confidently.

To remove the restriction, all you need to do is bring your logbook to a FSDO and show that you've met the flight time requirements without having to substitute SIC or FE time. Then you fill out an 8710 and you walk out with a new temp that does not have the restriction on it. Having that restriction will affect international operations, but you'll have no worries at all if you stay domestic.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back