• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATP VMC Circling Limitation Removal

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have an opportunity to get a fairly nice job in China. However, they require that my VMC circling limitation be removed from my ATP. That's fine and all, however, the way my licence reads is that it seems to be tied to each of my type ratings.
Below is how my ATP reads:
=========================================================

(Name) (Lic#)
XII Ratings

Airline Transport Pilot
Airplane Multiengine Land
B737; CL-65; EMB-145
Commercial Privileges
Airplane Single Engine Land

XII Limitations

English Proficient
ATP Circ. Apch. - VMC Only
B737 CL-65 EMB-145 Circ. Apch. - VMC Only
B737 SIC Privileges Only

=========================================================

So my question is this:
Do I have to get the limitation removed from each of my type ratings to satisfy my ATP circling approach restriction? Thanks.

No

I went to India and had to have the A320 circle limitation removed. You will have to attend the approved ground school, and have a check ride. This of course costs money.

-Awacs

Because you did not demonstrate a circling approach for your ATP, CL65 type, and 737 type rating - you will have to demonstrate to an Examiner or Inspector in an aircraft (with out an approved classroom program) or in a simulator with an approved course, the manuever at the ATP level, for your CL65, and for the 737. You can accomplish the ATP part with either type rating so you are looking at two exams.

No other way around it.

Excuse me for asking the obvious but why wouldn't you do a circling approach for your ATP or type ratings?
Obviously I have neither......:(

Excuse me for asking the obvious but why wouldn't you do a circling approach for your ATP or type ratings?
Obviously I have neither......:(

My ATP and Type ratings were obtained during my airline training. It is the norm in the USA not to do a circling approach for a pt121 airline checkride.

Z pilot

..Is correct. US airlines Rarely circle. My time serving India required this maneuver. In fact, night circle to land off the VOR was standard for one destination.

My restriction was removed after training, and a new check. Hope this helps.

AWACS

is there something stopping a pilot from doing the checkride in a light twin? If he needs the restriction removed from his atp, but not the type ratings, then it seems fair that he would be able to do it in any airplane in cat/class.

is there something stopping a pilot from doing the checkride in a light twin? If he needs the restriction removed from his atp, but not the type ratings, then it seems fair that he would be able to do it in any airplane in cat/class.

You are correct. The OP can remove the limitation from his ATP in any Multiengine airplane in an exam from a Designee or Inspector. His Type rating(s) require the exam to be in that type aircraft.

Latest resources

Back