Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AZaviator

El Capitan
I'm looking for some insight/advice from my fellow aviatiors. I'm trying to decide if I should get my ATP rating or not.

I currently have 1720tt/345multi and have my ATP written. I'm currently flight instructing full time and am in the newhire pool for a very large 135 air freight company. Unfortunately I don't know if my class date will be next month, or next year. Although I'm very excited about flying for this 135 company, I'm still keeping all options open and am active applying at other places. I know an ATP rating would make me more competative, but I'm trying to figure out if I really need it at this time. I know I could pass the checkride, however the money spent for the training and checkride could be used for so many other things such as bills!

So, if you were in my shoes, would you get the rating, or wait until it becomes more necessary?

Thanks in advance for any advice. :cool:

I would definately get the ATP if you are that close. Bite the bullet and get it out of the way. You'll be glad you did.

AZaviator said:
I know an ATP rating would make me more competative . . .

You answered your own question. I'm from the 1989-'91 school of job hunting, which isn't much different from these days. In those days, you needed to put your best foot forward and the ATP was a must. Times haven't changed, i.e. you still need to put your best foot forward. Therefore, absolutely, positively, get your ATP.

Do whatever you need to do to get it, if it means brushing up, finding a light twin and an examiner with whom to take it (I have a recommendation for you along those lines - PM me), or, if money really is tight, you can get a single-engine ATP and state truthfully that you hold an ATP certificate. In any event, get your ATP. You should have it. You need it. Do it.

Good luck with your practical.

Last edited:
AZ,

As you know, there is no ATP rating, but only an ATP certificate. Ratings are then placed upon that certificate. If you intend to go further with your career, you should definitely obtain the ATP.

The ATP checkride is nothing more than an instrument checkride. If you are instrumemt proficient, and currently working as a CFI, I would assume that you could pass the checkride without too much training. I would go for it ASAP. I'm from the same 89-92 "looking for a job" group as Bobbysamd, and I won a decent corporate job because I had the ATP and the other applicants didn't.
Good Luck
8N

The ATP used to be a rating on your commercial certificate, and some older guys still call it the ATR. Now it's a certificate, but that's a fairly recent invention.

Get It!!

AZ,

Get the certificate!!

There are places out there that will kick you out in 2 days with the ink still wet in your wallet.

No brainer and it shouldn't cost that much - $700 last I recall.

DrvA320

Latest resources

Back