• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flint4xx

I have an airplane ATP...

Please read from the FAA website:
XXII. For an additional Category Rating at the ATP Certification Level onto an existing ATP Certificate:

A. For an Airplane category rating in a single engine or multiengine airplane - 250 hours of flight time in airplanes as a PIC, or as SIC performing the duties of PIC, or any combination thereof.

B. For a Helicopter rating-200 hours of flight time in helicopters that includes 75 hours of PIC time, or as SIC performing the duties of PIC, or any combination thereof.

C. For a Powered-Lift rating-250 hours of flight time in powered-lifts as a PIC, or as SIC performing the duties of PIC, or any combination thereof.

I have 1300 hours in helicopters, but virtually no instrument time in them (RH)other than some hood getting my CFII. Do I qualify for an ATP??? I read this as a yes. No 25 hour instrument min? Appreciate the comments.

flint4xx said:
I have 1300 hours in helicopters, but virtually no instrument time in them (RH)other than some hood getting my CFII. Do I qualify for an ATP??? I read this as a yes. No 25 hour instrument min? Appreciate the comments.

You have indicated that you wish to add a rotorcraft-helicopter rating to your ATP certificate. According to 14 CFR 61.161:

a) A person who is applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with a rotorcraft category and helicopter class rating, must have at least 1,200 hours of total time as a pilot that includes at least:
(1) 500 hours of cross-country flight time;

(2) 100 hours of night flight time, of which 15 hours are in helicopters;

(3) 200 hours of flight time in helicopters, which includes at least 75 hours as a pilot in command, or as second in command performing the duties of a pilot in command under the supervision of a pilot in command, or any combination thereof; and

(4) 75 hours of instrument flight time in actual or simulated instrument meteorological conditions, of which at least 50 hours are obtained in flight with at least 25 hours in helicopters as a pilot in command, or as second in command performing the duties of a pilot in command under the supervision of a pilot in command, or any combination thereof.

As an airplane ATP, you obviously already have the 75 hours of instrument flight time (either actual or simulated). 50 hours of that 75 hr. requirement must be in flight. Of the 50 in-flight hours, 25 must be in helicopters as PIC. So, you'll need no less than 25 hours of instrument flight time, in helicopters, as PIC, to be eligible for the ATP-RH add-on.

Edit: You may also use a flight simulator or FTD (representative of a rotorcraft) for a 25 or 50 hour credit towards the paragraph (4) requirement. See 61.161.

Best of luck,

-Ryan

Last edited:
In 1983 I got a RW ATP. Back then there where 2 types.
VFR or IFR ATP. I dont know if that is still an option.

Latest resources

Back