Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jmt

Jammin monkey Tee
I have a chance to fly right sit on a beech 1900 and 99 with an cargo operator. I was told that until I get my SIC checkout, I could log the total flight if the Captain is a ATP and MEI, and if He signs my logbook as dual given, since as an ATP, he's allowed to give instruction in commercial operation. Am I really legal to log that time under turbine dual given and total time?

jmt said:
I have a chance to fly right sit on a beech 1900 and 99 with an cargo operator. I was told that until I get my SIC checkout, I could log the total flight if the Captain is a ATP and MEI, and if He signs my logbook as dual given, since as an ATP, he's allowed to give instruction in commercial operation. Am I really legal to log that time under turbine dual given and total time?
Not Exactly. You cannot give dual given under Part 135 unless you meet Part 135 minimums and you are being checked out to work for the employee. You could log the legs that are Part 91(repos, ferry, staging...), but otherwise you’re out of luck. Well at least if you what to log it legitimately...

Logging dual given

(emphasis added)

Perhaps it could be logged as dual and turbine if the captain signs it off under his MEI and not because he is an ATP as discussed above. But it would be a major stretch because he is really the PIC during a 135 revenue flight and not really functioning as a flight instructor.

I would not log it. A 1900 requires a type rating, so I wouldn't even log any Part 91 legs in that airplane.

If this is who I think it is (Alpine Air), I surely would think twice before going there and spending that much money to fly right seat. This is a pretty crooked operation with regards to the SIC pay for training program, not to mention a sh!t load of money that you must fork over just to sit right seat. You could get so much more for your money elsewhere..

I hope this is not the place that you are going to....

3 5 0

If you are flying with someone who has an MEI the whole ATP thing does not matter. Just have them sign your log with their CFI number and log it as dual given and it would be legal.

Latest resources

Back