ATP Checkride

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

JAFO

I have heard from a couple of guys that you can take your ATP checkride with 1400 TT as long as you have all the other required times(x-country,night, PIC, etc.). You would then have to wait until you obtained 1500 TT to exercise your ATP privelages. Any truth to this?

Yup...Perfectly legal...

I can't remember the exact reference offhand, but its located in part 61...You take the ride and there is a limitation put on your certificate. When you hit 1500 you get the limitation removed.

Maybe you have a different FAR/AIM than the rest of us but it seems to me that 61.159(d) is more than self explanatory!!!

I thought that Doc's response made the subject 100% clear.

Let me know how the FSDO responds to the 8710 with 1200 hours as you sit down for an ATP.

ATP total time

I agree with Timebuilder and Doc. You really do need to have 1500 hours total time for your ATP. I took the following excerpt of 14 CFR 61.159 from www.risingup.com/fars/info/part61-159-FAR.shtml

Sec. 61.159 - Aeronautical experience: Airplane category rating.

(a) Except as provided in paragraphs (b), (c), and (d) of this section, a person who is applying for an airline transport pilot certificate with an airplane category and class rating must have at least 1,500 hours of total time as a pilot . . . .

(d) An applicant may be issued an airline transport pilot certificate with the endorsement, "Holder does not meet the pilot in command aeronautical experience requirements of ICAO," . . . if the applicant:

(1) Credits second-in-command or flight-engineer time under paragraph (c) of this section toward the 1,500 hours total flight time requirement of paragraph (a) of this section . . . .

(3) Otherwise meets the requirements of paragraph (a) of this section.

(emphasis added)

You have to read 14 CFR 61.159 in its entirety. 14 CFR 61.159 references the 1500 hour requirement two times. I agree with Doc's interpretation, which I also read, that 14 CFR 61.159(d) is intended to reconcile an ICAO PIC time-counting problem.

Hope this helps to clarify a few things.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back