Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

saviboy

Hi
I had 900 tt when I got my type rating in the metro 3. soon I m gonna take my ATP.
Afriend of mine has been told that my type ride could be used as the practical test portion of the ATP certificate.
According to him when I meet the time requirements, I just go to the FSDO with my licences, atp written, logbook showing the metro type ride and thats it.
Anybody got any info on that?

I don't think your friend is correct. I also got a type on my commercial but, I had to do the whole (identical ride) over again at FSI during a recurrent for my ATP. Any types you have are carried over from you commercial to your ATP when you get the certificate.

Saviboy, I would love it if your friend was correct!! I'm in the exact same boat as you, 800TT when I got my Falcon 10 type and I would LOVE to just have to take the written and be done with it...although, the FAA screwed up after I took my type ride and instead of sending me a commercial with the DA-10 rating on it, they sent me an ATP with the DA-10 rating (but I only whip it out when I'm at the bars since it impresses the ladies).

saviboy said:
Hi
I had 900 tt when I got my type rating in the metro 3. soon I m gonna take my ATP.
Afriend of mine has been told that my type ride could be used as the practical test portion of the ATP certificate.
According to him when I meet the time requirements, I just go to the FSDO with my licences, atp written, logbook showing the metro type ride and thats it.

That's not the way I understand it. I got a type on my commercial when I had 1100 hours and had to go back and take another ride at 1500 hours in the same type to get my ATP with the type. It didn't really matter anyways for me since I needed to go to recurrent and take a 135 ride also. But you know how the FAA works, every FSDO interprets the rules differently and one may let you do one thing and another won't.

saviboy said:
Hi

You will have to take an ATP check ride. It can be in any multi-engine aircraft (i.e. Aztec, Baron etc.) and they will change your commercial type rating to ATP privileges.

A little different situation may apply. Took the ATP/type ride at age 19 but could only hold a commercial until 23. Just went to the office to pick the ATP up since I already had completed the practical. Depends on the FSDO I guess. Find a friendly fed with the opinion that suits you.

WhiteCloud said:
A little different situation may apply. Took the ATP/type ride at age 19 but could only hold a commercial until 23. Just went to the office to pick the ATP up since I already had completed the practical. Depends on the FSDO I guess. Find a friendly fed with the opinion that suits you.
They issued you a letter. However, I don't believe the feds are allowed to do that any longer.

FAA Order 8700.1

CHAPTER 7. CONDUCT AN AIRLINE TRANSPORT PILOT CERTIFICATION, INCLUDING ADDITIONAL CATEGORY/CLASS RATINGS

SECTION 1. BACKGROUND

9. CATEGORY, CLASS, AND TYPE RATINGS.
The category and class rating(s) for which the applicant has qualified on the original or subsequent ATP practical tests are entered on the ATP certificate. Recreational, private, and commercial category and class ratings may not be upgraded to the ATP level without a practical test.

A. Type Ratings. Type rating tests are conducted to a single standard for all grades of pilot certificate. Therefore, except for helicopter type ratings added to an airman certificate under the provisions of § 61.73(d)(3), all of the type ratings held on the superseded certificate carry forward at the new certificate level WITHIN CATEGORY AND CLASS.

NOTE: A type rating for a single-place airplane may not be upgraded to the ATP level.

---------------------------------
Just in case you wanted the reference...

type ratings (other than those of VFR only or single engine) will be upgraded to the ATP level by OKC when the application is processed unless an Inspector does it on the Temporary Certificate.

JAFI

Lead Sled said:
They issued you a letter. However, I don't believe the feds are allowed to do that any longer.
My situation was over 25 years ago so I'm certain things have changed some. At the time of the test I had all the ATP requirements except for age satisfied.

WhiteCloud said:
My situation was over 25 years ago so I'm certain things have changed some. At the time of the test I had all the ATP requirements except for age satisfied.

The letter you got is no longer used since part 61 was changed in 1998.

Latest resources

Back