Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATP certificare - incorporate it with a type ride?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Smash312

I'm coming fairly close to the 1500 hour mark and am shortly considering getting the ATP done and out the way with. I'm still about 6 weeks off, but want to get planning.

Now, I figured that going to www.allatps.com will cost me a round $2000. With examiners fees - I'm calling it $2500 on the top end (being prudent).

Being in the pistion world at the moment - and cannot seem to be getting any real f/o corp/135 job. I've had a few hours in the Citation from someone in Daytona and the 'opportunity' from someone to fly a little - whom I have yet to get a call from in Tampa, but nothing to really cut my teath on.

I have a friend at one of the sim houses (simcom/CAE/flightsafety) that will be able to do me a pretty discounted rate on a citation type rating. It'll shape up to somewhere in the region of £7500.

Here's the bit I need help on. I'm thinking I'll offset the cost of the ATP against a type rating which will then turn out to be in the region of $5000. I feel that this will make me more marketable and will put me in the position to knock on doors and hopefully get a SIC position on a Citation (somewhere).

I'm sure this has been argued to death, but I'm really considering this as an option. Would anyone recommend this option, or should an ATP (done in a pistion) with no jet time be enough to hustle a job out of someone? I'm about to go crazy trying to get a foot in. Can someone please offer advise as to why this could work and may have worked for people out there - or is this really a no-no. All advise is appreciated. Thanks.

So for $3,000 more you get something way more useful than an ATP right? Shoot, if I had that hook up I'd get the type and ATP. Then, hunt down all the Citation operators around and sit right seat for $500 a day to pay back the diff. No?

icefr8dawg said:
So for $3,000 more you get something way more useful than an ATP right? Shoot, if I had that hook up I'd get the type and ATP. Then, hunt down all the Citation operators around and sit right seat for $500 a day to pay back the diff. No?

your math is a lil off, $5000 more not $3000. Who pays $500 a day in a CJ?? and where?

Smash;

Your logic isnt bad and it has been talked a little about here. It wont kill you to get the type. It will make you more marketable... you'll be out several thousand dollars but on the plus side people will look at your resume more. If they dont have to pay for your initial you will get better treatment over those who dont have the type. $500.00 is probably a stretch anywhere in the US for a right seat for a Citation. Good luck and let us know what happens.

Cubman

That is what I did (well after I hit 2000 hours) Took the CE-500 and ATP ride together in the plane so there wouldn't be an IOE restriction. And sure enough right after that I got a charter job on a J31 as f.o a week into training they also decided to also have me fly as f/o on the Lear31. Unfortunately I have't had a chance to get in the Citation since my checkride a couple years ago but the type rating will never leave. Just wish I could have been typed in the 31's.

I got my ATP and type (CRJ) together for $5000. Good deal too. It allowed me to do some contract work. Also remember that getting your ATP is considered a job skills improvement, so you can deduct the entire cost from your taxes.

landlover said:
your math is a lil off, $5000 more not $3000. Who pays $500 a day in a CJ?? and where?

Thought $500 a day was reasonable, I mean you're using me for the entire day, and for christs sake sitting in a slow a**II has to be worth that much. I get $375.00 a day for fly a baron around in the Northeast and Hawker part timers go for $500-650 around here. Maybe $400?

Is it possible to get an 8410 if you're not sent by a 135 operator? I'm going on my own nickle and would like to get typed under 135.

Thanks

To get an 8410 you must be trained under an approved 135 training program, so you need to find a 135 operator with a Citation training program to "sponser you". We do this sometimes for our contract pilots. Call around, most operators have no problem with this because it doesn't cost them anything.

Latest resources

Back