ATP before 23rd B-day

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

idoitupsidedown

Does anyone know if it is possible to take the ATP checkride before you're 23 and have some sort of stipulation attached to it like "not good until he's 23" (or something a bit more FAA/legalese)? I have all the flight time requirements and am working on the written, don't need it for my current job or the next one for that matter, just thought it'd be one of those things that couldn't hurt me to have. I'm planning on calling the local FSDO to ask them after i get the written out of the way, but figured this line of research would be a good start. Thanks in advance.

hmmm...not anymore.

I looked into this for a friend recently. The FAA no longer allows one to take the checkride before their 23rd birthday. And, there is no longer a "restricted" ATP either.

idoitupsidedown said:
Does anyone know if it is possible to take the ATP checkride before you're 23 and have some sort of stipulation attached to it like "not good until he's 23" (or something a bit more FAA/legalese)? I have all the flight time requirements and am working on the written, don't need it for my current job or the next one for that matter, just thought it'd be one of those things that couldn't hurt me to have. I'm planning on calling the local FSDO to ask them after i get the written out of the way, but figured this line of research would be a good start. Thanks in advance.

If you don't need it, don't pay for it. When you need it, someone else will pay for it. I lew with a guy last year that had an ATP stamped with "Does not meet ICAO" (standards or requirements, can't remember which). He said that he was only 22 but his job required that he get typed.

Got mine when I was 21. Fsdo writes you a letter that you exchange for the certificate when you turn 23.

super

GrnClvrs said:
If you don't need it, don't pay for it. When you need it, someone else will pay for it. I lew with a guy last year that had an ATP stamped with "Does not meet ICAO" (standards or requirements, can't remember which). He said that he was only 22 but his job required that he get typed.

It will/would have only cost me a few bucks to rent the airplane. I fly light twins and was planning to do it one of them. couple of hundred bucks at the most. but it looks like now, maybe not, we'll see. thanks for the replies, all.

idoitupsidedown said:

Can not be done anymore..

Mr Wu said:

You dont need an ATP to get a type. You can get a type rating on a Private if you want. If Bill Gates bought a 777 he could get the 777 type on his Private as long as he just flew it under part 91. The ATP just lets you be the PIC during 121 ops. Type rating just means that the plane is over 12,500lbs or a jet, or the FAA feels like that plane requires a type for some reason. Anyways back to the original guy..nope you cant take the ride till your 23rd bday. If you dont need it for your job then dont worry about it. When you do need it of a job then your company should pay for it. The ATP is pretty much the only rating that most people get for free so take advantage of it and let someone else pay for it.

Latest resources

Back