ATP before 23rd B-day

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
great cornholio said:
You dont need an ATP to get a type. You can get a type rating on a Private if you want. If Bill Gates bought a 777 he could get the 777 type on his Private as long as he just flew it under part 91. The ATP just lets you be the PIC during 121 ops. Type rating just means that the plane is over 12,500lbs or a jet, or the FAA feels like that plane requires a type for some reason. Anyways back to the original guy..nope you cant take the ride till your 23rd bday. If you dont need it for your job then dont worry about it. When you do need it of a job then your company should pay for it. The ATP is pretty much the only rating that most people get for free so take advantage of it and let someone else pay for it.

Jesus, there's always one. I (wrongly) presumed that people would put two and two together and figure out that he did his type and ATP during the same ride.

Mr Wu said:
Jesus, there's always one. I (wrongly) presumed that people would put two and two together and figure out that he did his type and ATP during the same ride.

To Mr Wu:

Personally, I think your response is unkind to Great Cornholio when he was trying to be helpful. As response like yours has no place on a board for professionals. If you’re big enough, kindly post an apology.

Just went through all this myself. You can no longer receive your ATP early in any form or manner. You must wait and take the checkride when you are 23. this changed about 3 or 4 months ago so it is very recent. But on another note I would not get it until you really need it. If the jobs you are applying for don't require it then save your money for the food you are going to need to buy as a pilot

flagshipper said:
You must wait and take the checkride when you are 23. this changed about 3 or 4 months ago so it is very recent.

Actually, this changed in August 4, 1997, with the changes in new Part 61 at that time.

Many people are confused on this because AOPA PILOT had a piece about 1-year ago that mistakenly said the ATP practical test could be taken early and then offically issued on the applicant's 23rd birthday. That error has caused much confusion.

Mr Wu said:

Ummm ok I might be dumb, but the way I read your post is that your buddy got an ATP at 22 cause his job required him to get typed. It sounded to me like he needed to get his ATP to get his type, which is not true. Also I dont even know how the guy got an ATP at 22 since you need to be 23 to get it and its been that way for a few years. I was just tyring to explain things out in case the original poster was confused and thought that you could only get a type on an ATP and thats why he wanted the ATP.

You still say that your buddy got his ATP and type on the same ride. So you are still making it sound like the only certificate that you can add a type to is the ATP.

Last edited:
great cornholio said:
Ummm ok I might be dumb, but the way I read your post is that your buddy got an ATP at 22 cause his job required him to get typed. It sounded to me like he needed to get his ATP to get his type, which is not true.

No, you're not dumb, I read it exactly the same way the first time. I read it a couple more times, and decided I wasn't sure which way he meant it, so I didn't say anything. Anyway, he was way out of line responding to you that way. You just stated the facts, you weren't rude, so what if there was a misunderstanding? He could have just clarified what he meant without being rude.

great cornholio said:
You dont need an ATP to get a type. You can get a type rating on a Private if you want. If Bill Gates bought a 777 he could get the 777 type on his Private as long as he just flew it under part 91. The ATP just lets you be the PIC during 121 ops. Type rating just means that the plane is over 12,500lbs or a jet, or the FAA feels like that plane requires a type for some reason. Anyways back to the original guy..nope you cant take the ride till your 23rd bday. If you dont need it for your job then dont worry about it. When you do need it of a job then your company should pay for it. The ATP is pretty much the only rating that most people get for free so take advantage of it and let someone else pay for it.

Do an airmen database search for John Travolta, he has many types on his private. Interesting how his 707 type is SIC only, but his 720 type (common) does not have a limitation.

kevdog said:
Interesting how his 707 type is SIC only, but his 720 type (common) does not have a limitation.

I suspect that is not the case, more that the entry in the database is misleading. I think that probably the 707 and 720 typeratings are really the same rating. I'm typed in the DC-6 and the DC-7, but it's really the same rating. ONe ride in a DC-6. But if you read my database entry, it appears to be seperate ratings.

A Squared said:
I suspect that is not the case, more that the entry in the database is misleading. I think that probably the 707 and 720 typeratings are really the same rating. I'm typed in the DC-6 and the DC-7, but it's really the same rating. ONe ride in a DC-6. But if you read my database entry, it appears to be seperate ratings.

No, I agree with you, the 707 and 720 are common types, but under his limitations it only says 707 SIC Priv only...

kevdog said:
No, I agree with you, the 707 and 720 are common types, but under his limitations it only says 707 SIC Priv only...

Yeah, I took a look at it.... so that begs the question, does he have Full PIC privileges in a 720? Seems unlikely, but I agree it's ambiguous.

Latest resources

Back