• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATL's new tower is open.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I have always felt we have some pretty sharp guys in atlanta...

...although, I do wish someone would teach them to manage airplanes faster than 250 kts. :laugh:

They're better than DFW

Jet_Driver said:
ATL's tower may be open, but the same lame controllers still work there. It won't change the performance that is already lacking.

I've always liked the controllers in Atlanta. DFW controllers had fewer aircraft and more runways, but were always so much slower about takeoffs and runway crossings. I like the pace in Atlanta - many times you're cleared for takeoff while the guys ahead of you are just starting to rotate. They keep things movin'

That's common place in DTW... They'll definitely have the 6000 feet and the radio will be keyed and they will be in the process of issuing the clearance while the departing traffic's nose wheel just lifts...

Lolikoka said:
I've always liked the controllers in Atlanta. DFW controllers had fewer aircraft and more runways, but were always so much slower about takeoffs and runway crossings. I like the pace in Atlanta - many times you're cleared for takeoff while the guys ahead of you are just starting to rotate. They keep things movin'

I have a friend who is a tower controller at DFW. They used to move traffic more expeditiously. However, since the new RNAV Sids came out, it's caused a bit of a battle between the Tower and TRACON. The TRACON requires 3 miles separation between two departing aircraft on the Type B departures, and requires 4 miles between a Type B and Type A departure (non-RNAV). He said the TRACON is calling "deals" on the Tower on a daily basis... so the tower controllers have slowed down the pace significantly.

BoilerUP said:
That's probably not being understaffed, they just didn't petition the FAA to continue using "position and hold" after the feds changed the rules...

-I'm just quoting from one of the controllers from BHM. He said that to me personally. He said they don't have as many controllers in the TWR any more, therefore they can't use TIPH.

samfu_1 said:
-I'm just quoting from one of the controllers from BHM. He said that to me personally. He said they don't have as many controllers in the TWR any more, therefore they can't use TIPH.

That's true, they aren't allowed to issue position and hold instructions if the controller is working 2 (or more) frequencies and/or two or more positions.

spinproof said:
"Until June 8, however, the fifth runway will only be used for landings in good weather, when pilots can clearly see it. After that, new aeronautical charts will show pilots around the world the information they need to make instrument approaches to the new runway in bad weather."

Yeah, and I'm looking forward to the intercontinental flight it will take to get from the new runway to the terminal. I think the new runway is actually in Florida.:laugh:

Future Furlough said:
Yeah, and I'm looking forward to the intercontinental flight it will take to get from the new runway to the terminal. I think the new runway is actually in Florida.:laugh:

I believe ASA has asked that all arriving and departing NAP flights use the new runway to cut down on premium pay.

That isn't really necessary. The nap flights probably burn less fuel just sitting on the ramp for 20 minutes while waiting for their spot to open.

And congestion will probably not get any better as we add 13 900s to the mix.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back