Atleast one Senator is NOT for a US-DL Merge

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

U.S. Senator Johnny Isakson issued the following statement today in response to a proposed bid by U.S. Airways to merge with Delta.
“As the largest employer in Georgia, Delta Air Lines is vital to Georgia’s economy and to the thousands of Georgians it employs. Delta has put in place an aggressive plan to emerge in 2007 as a strong, stand-alone carrier and I am very confident it will succeed. As U.S. senator, I have worked very hard to help Delta and its employees through hard times and I will work even harder to keep Delta as an outstanding corporate partner headquartered in Atlanta for many, many years to come.”

Other Senators and Congressmen from DL hub states will come out and object I am sure.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Where does he say he is against the merger. I am sure as long as Delta's headquaters and largest hub operation stay in ATL, for a few campaign dollars he could easily see either side of this merger.

Where does he say he is against the merger. I am sure as long as Delta's headquaters and largest hub operation stay in ATL, for a few campaign dollars he could easily see either side of this merger.

You didn't read the part that states a "stand alone" carrier? Read it again in the middle....

U.S. Senator Johnny Isakson issued the following statement today in response to a proposed bid by U.S. Airways to merge with Delta.
“As the largest employer in Georgia, Delta Air Lines is vital to Georgia’s economy and to the thousands of Georgians it employs. Delta has put in place an aggressive plan to emerge in 2007 as a strong, "stand-alone carrier" and I am very confident it will succeed. As U.S. senator, I have worked very hard to help Delta and its employees through hard times and I will work even harder to keep Delta as an outstanding corporate partner headquartered in Atlanta for many, many years to come.”

Got it?

Bye Bye--General Lee

Stand alone only means that they are the surviving partner. I am sure that if Parker moves the headquarters to Atlanta, calls the thing Delta, then the Senator would have no problem calling this thing a stand alone airline. The Senator says nothing about being against the merger, only for a stand alone Delta. As long as the employees in other states eat the shaft this Senator will have no problem with Delta merging into a larger carrier. It all comes back to votes and money for the Senator.

Last edited:
It will be more up to the creditors than one senator. That's the hazard of BK. Airways' deal might be more compelling than the reorganization plan of Delta's current leaders.

All those guys getting pennies on the dollar if Delta stands alone vs full pay if Delta merges will probably decide that one. As a Senator he'll need to find a regulatory reason to kill the deal.

Don't worry General Lee, you will be assimilated.

Come on, the senator is about one thing, and that is himself. He'll say whatever he thinks his constituents want to hear. There is little he can do to stop the snowball from rolling down the hill.

Good luck to all the pilots involved.

FJ

James Oberstar, who will head the Transportation Committee, was on CNBC today calling USAir's position on industry consolidation "nonsense".

It will be more up to the creditors than one senator. That's the hazard of BK. Airways' deal might be more compelling than the reorganization plan of Delta's current leaders.

It will also be up to the USAirways shareholders. Don't forget that. Once all the initial hysteria dies down, they will start to give this thing a good hard look. If they don't think it make sense, it won't happen.

James Oberstar, who will head the Transportation Committee, was on CNBC today calling USAir's position on industry consolidation "nonsense".

general sline thinks that is nonsense......

Bye Bye--General Lee

WHY is this the Congressional imperative?! Are we to expect that ALL mergers will be scutinized until the day SWA has 2000 airplanes! BS!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back