• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atleast one Senator is NOT for a US-DL Merge

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
U.S. Senator Johnny Isakson issued the following statement today in response to a proposed bid by U.S. Airways to merge with Delta.
“As the largest employer in Georgia, Delta Air Lines is vital to Georgia’s economy and to the thousands of Georgians it employs. Delta has put in place an aggressive plan to emerge in 2007 as a strong, stand-alone carrier and I am very confident it will succeed. As U.S. senator, I have worked very hard to help Delta and its employees through hard times and I will work even harder to keep Delta as an outstanding corporate partner headquartered in Atlanta for many, many years

A quote I heard from another merger many years ago...."Cool Northern Efficiency will replace Southern Hospitality."

Sure.....

Date of Hire=Unity=Date of Hire

Tejas

Too bad Isakson is a Republican. I don't think the Dems will listen very hard to his red state concerns.........

I really don't see this merger happening for a couple of reasons:

1. The route maps overlap - just look at them. Southeast, Northeast (shuttles) and West (Phx/Las Vegas and Salt Lake/LA)

2. The fleets are very, very different (not many synergies there).

USAirways: A319, A320, A321, 757/767 (similar), A330, 737-300/400
Delta: MD88/MD90, 737-800, 757/767 (similar), 767-400, 777
The 757s even have different engines...

3. Anti-trust issues. Parker actually claimed that the consumer would benefit from this merger because the new airline would "be stronger and provide more destinations and scope." What? Do you think reducing redundant routes (that provide competitive fares) and reducing capacity (shrinking fleet size) would benefit a consumer? Aaahhh, nope. Fares will increase and airline "choice" would diminish. Add reduced seats and yield management and you get higher fares for consumers very quickly.

4. Both airlines are "trending" positive and are looking more healthy - why merge two seemingly healthy airlines when there are no significant route benefits or fleet synergies? Delta and USAirways reported profits last quarter and Delta is finsihing up its creditor negotiations to put it in an even more competitive situation (lower lease rates on aircraft).

Sure, anything can happen, but I really doubt this will come to fruition. Delta is trending very well economically and strategically this merger would not make much sense (unless their routes and fleet were more complementary).

I'm pretty sure Parker and friends have looked hard at all that too, but the fact remains, its up to Delta's creditors in BK to decide what's best for Delta. If they want the cash they'll approve the merger. And then it will face off against regulatory review.

As for USAirway's shareholders and stakeholders Parker couldn't have put this together without their knowledge.... They've been in on board for quite awhile I'm sure.

As for "James Oberstar, who will head the Transportation Committee, was on CNBC today calling USAir's position on industry consolidation "nonsense". Every one in the industry has been screaming about consolidation even before the AWA/USAir "merger." H3ll, even that idiot Boyd is talking consolidation. If James Oberstar don't get it, I think he's the wrong guy for the Transportation Committee.

Come on General Lee, I know that secretly you want your new call sign to be Cactus, go ahead, say it out loud a few times, it'll make you smile; I know it makes me smile, hehehehe.....

I'm pretty sure Parker and friends have looked hard at all that too, but the fact remains, its up to Delta's creditors in BK to decide what's best for Delta. If they want the cash they'll approve the merger. And then it will face off against regulatory review.

As for USAirway's shareholders and stakeholders Parker couldn't have put this together without their knowledge.... They've been in on board for quite awhile I'm sure.

As for "James Oberstar, who will head the Transportation Committee, was on CNBC today calling USAir's position on industry consolidation "nonsense". Every one in the industry has been screaming about consolidation even before the AWA/USAir "merger." H3ll, even that idiot Boyd is talking consolidation. If James Oberstar don't get it, I think he's the wrong guy for the Transportation Committee.

Come on General Lee, I know that secretly you want your new call sign to be Cactus, go ahead, say it out loud a few times, it'll make you smile; I know it makes me smile, hehehehe.....

Did you just say the shareholders of USAir knew about this proposal? Could that have led to a lot of insider trading? Oh yes. That would be wrong, ask Martha Stewart. And James Oberstar is the guy in charge. He will decide whether or not this goes. Congress had a big beef with the UAL/USAir merger debacle. Congress also flies the Delta and USair Shuttles to NYC from DCA often. They know the deal.

Johnsonrod was correct about the crazy hub similarities. LAS/SLC/PHX triangle, and then the ATL/CLT/PHL/JFK/BOS/LGA/PIT quadangle. Hmmmmm. Any overlap there? The reason USAir and AWA were allowed to merge was because of a lack of overlap. I don't care if everyone (mostly greedy investment bankers from Wharton) wants consolidation. Oberstar said on CNBC--"NONSENSE, the airlines are profitable now." He will ask tough questions and then allow the vote.

Do I want a Cactus callsign? Not really. Delta is better known Internationally.

Bye Bye--General Lee

If Boeing is a creditor, why would they want to lose a big customer like Delta? Especially if there is a possibility that future orders would go to Airbus? What about anti-trust issues? Wouldn't those supercede creditor interests? Yes, yes they would.

There are few fleet synergies and instead completely overlapping route networks domestically. I still don't see it happening...

poster-heritage-large.jpg

Kinda strange that boeing made this poster for US a few months back, if there is such ill will?????

Parker is going to run this company into the ground. He's lower then whale shJt. I would rather see both companies go under then say yes to the inevitable "we need concessions so that I can build a new summer home. . . oh yeah and so that this merger can work"

Pee on US Airways upper management.

Latest resources

Back