• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

fogrunner

Atlas Air reduces fleet, cuts jobs

Feb 9, 2009

Atlas Air Worldwide has announced it will downsize its fleet and cut a number of crew and ground staff positions.

According to AAWW company president & CEO William Flynn, the current pronounced downturn in global airfreight demand has caused the company to accelerate its plans to retire a number of its older 747-200 aircraft.
"We have continued to de-risk our fleet plan through the retirement of our aging 747-200 assets and to aggressively reduce operating costs in line with the reductions in capacity," said Flynn. "To that end, we have taken a number of actions to reduce our -200 fleet by seven aircraft and to reduce our crew force and ground staff in line with this decision."
The changes mean that AAWW will manage and operate a fleet of 29 Boeing 747 freighter aircraft - seven 747-200Fs and 22 747-400Fs.
In conjunction with the expected downsizing of the 747-200 fleet, the company has negotiated early termination agreements with its lessors regarding the leases on four 747-200 aircraft due to expire in 2009 and 2010. This will enable the company to avoid maintenance expenditure on these aircraft.
AAWW will be able to use the remaining 747-200 engines and related parts to support the rest of the 747-200 operating fleet and to reduce future maintenance expenditure.

http://www.eyefortransport.com/content/atlas-air-reduces-fleet-cuts-jobs

Howz that Altas/Polar merger going?

It is a over a span on 7 months from JAN to JULY. 29 more FE's are being furloughed with rumors of more pilots being furloughed. Potentially 33% of the pilot group on the street by years end, excluding FE's and AABO.:eek:

I think the next negotiation meeting with the company is Feb 23-25th from the last email I got.

I got that one too...Sounds like the first meeting to me, with some LOAs.

I wonder if the classic cuts are playing hardball? My bud at Southern said they're doing OK..

Hard to say. The furloughs are scheduled over a stretch of time instead of at one failed swoop. Could be just making the stockholders happy by doing something due to the economic downturn. A long term furlough schedule makes it easier to put guys back if things turn around while complying with the contracts terms of notification of furlough.

Latest resources

Back