• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ABXbooger

All-747 operator Atlas mulls other aircraft types for new routes
By Mary Kirby

A strategy that could see all-Boeing 747 operator Atlas Air Worldwide Holdings acquire mid-sized widebody freighters is under preliminary consideration by management.

Although these are still “early days”, Atlas has discussed how it might position for future business opportunities, including looking at “a different type of aircraft than the 747 that we’ve traditionally flown” which would fit into “a more regional kind of market”, an Atlas spokesman tells ATI.

Under consideration is “something more in the mid- to wide-body” size range, he says, with Airbus A330 and Boeing 767 aircraft among the possible types under consideration.

“What we’re thinking about is perhaps shorter commercial trade routes that would be attractive [but which] would not need the same type of 747 or 747-8 freighter [capacity],” says the spokesman, noting: “If you were doing the shorter segment with smaller scale aircraft, you could do a couple of runs during the day.”

Management recently discussed these opportunities with investors. From the standpoint of organic growth, Atlas is looking at new ACMI [aircraft, crew, maintenance and insurance] markets and customers as well as charter market expansion, while strategic opportunities include “new aircraft type(s)” and “intra-regional markets”, the company said in an investor presentation.

Atlas last year placed firm orders for 12 747-8 freighters and options on an additional 14 of the type. Deliveries are scheduled to start in 2010, and all 12 firm orders are expected to be in service by the end of 2011.

“The idea is that, on the first glance of things, [the 747-8] compliments our [ACMI operations]”, which is served by the company’s Atlas Air operating unit, says the spokesman. The company’s other operator, Polar Air Cargo, provides scheduled service and assists with charters.

Atlas is looking to combine the crew forces of its two carriers into a single collective bargaining unit. However, last year it made the strategic decision to retain and conduct operations under both certificates rather than to forego operations under the Atlas certificate and to operate solely under the Polar authority.

As a result, in May 2006 Atlas withdrew its pending application with the US DOT with regard to the consolidation of operating authorities under Polar.

Months later, logistics giant DHL finalized the terms of a new partnership agreement with Atlas, under which it is to acquire a 49% stake in Polar. The deal includes a 25% voting interest in Polar and a 20-year commercial pact giving DHL access to Polar’s 747-400 freighter fleet.

This will be facilitated by an “ACMI-like arrangement between Polar and Atlas Air for six 747-400 aircraft and related flight services and support”, says Atlas in its presentation. The company’s spokesman adds: “Basically it’s going to be a situation where things will look as they have been, but from a strategic standpoint will have a more ACMI-like flavor.” It will not be ACMI “in a pure sense”, however.

Yep this will happen real fast! Say about 20 or 30 years? :laugh:

Lookout now WR....how bout you buy the beers when DHL or Polar/Atlas announces yall are getting the 767-300ER's

Sure, I should be in my 70's by then.

I'm just waiting to see Bobbbbbbbbbb and the rest of the Polar MEC file a greivence, citing that these planes should be going to their crewmembers:nuts:

just having a little fun at the polaroids expense, next beer on me:beer:

Yep this will happen real fast! Say about 20 or 30 years? :laugh:

Judging from your rumor you started on Polar getting 4 -400's and everyone getting recalled which panned out quite to the contrary, I can't say I agree with you on your latest prediction. Of course, you could just be spreading around what Polar MEC Chairman Bobbbb Henderson wants everyone to believe.

Judging from your rumor you started on Polar getting 4 -400's and everyone getting recalled which panned out quite to the contrary, I can't say I agree with you on your latest prediction. Of course, you could just be spreading around what Polar MEC Chairman Bobbbb Henderson wants everyone to believe.

Yep thats what I'm doing........:rolleyes:

Funny, I didn't hear anything about new types other than the 747-8 in the annual company meeting. Now who's making predictions and spreading things around?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back