Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atlanta vs MSP for merged hub? Congressman and Governor vs Senator..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

UPDATED: 9:16 p.m. January 17, 2008
Delta-Northwest alliance a divisive idea on the ground
Political rhetoric heats up as officials look to protect their own

By JIM THARPE, RUSSELL GRANTHAM
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 01/17/08
A potential merger between Delta Air Lines and Northwest Airlines turned into a political tug of war Thursday as elected officials from Georgia to Minnesota lined up behind their home-based companies, just as a deal to create a mega-carrier appeared to be gelling.
The governor of Minnesota said he wants to meet with the chief executives of both carriers to talk about the possibility they might merge, a union that would create the nation's largest airline. And a powerful Minnesota congressman has come out against any merger of any of the top airlines.

U.S. Sen. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.), meanwhile, briefed the Metro Atlanta Chamber of Commerce, reminding top business leaders that Delta-based CEO Richard Anderson has promised him that any Delta merger would see Delta not only as the survivor, but still headquartered in Atlanta.
A Minneapolis-based airlines consultant said the rhetoric probably will increase as a merger nears, but he dismissed it as little more than political theater that will not have much impact on what eventually happens.
"They can holler. They can do whatever they want. It doesn't matter. The only people that matter are the antitrust people of the U.S. Justice Department," said Terry Trippler of Trippler & Associates.
Trippler, who knows both Anderson and Northwest CEO Doug Steenland, expects a deal to be announced within a few weeks.
"I think it will get announced by the middle of February, and then the rhetoric will fly," Trippler said.
Rumors of a possible merger between Delta and Northwest have swirled over the past few weeks, even though neither airline has confirmed that talks are under way. News reports, citing unnamed sources, have said Delta's board last week gave Anderson the green light to begin looking at a merger with either Northwest or United Airlines, which has headquarters in Chicago.
Many analysts believe a Delta-Northwest combination would more likely survive Justice Department scrutiny, and most of the rhetoric Thursday revolved around that possible corporate marriage. Industry experts are less certain a Delta-United combination would pass scrutiny without significant trimming of operations.

Fueling the speculation was news that Delta may bring Air France-KLM Group into its merger talks.
Anderson and other top Delta executives recently flew to Paris to meet with management of Air France-KLM Group, according to a person familiar with the negotiations. Delta's president and financial chief, Ed Bastian, and Glen Hauenstein, its head route planner, accompanied Anderson.

Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty sent letters to Steenland and Anderson on Thursday. He said he met with Steenland recently but didn't say when.
Pawlenty wrote that he wants to "respectfully remind you" of Northwest's commitments to keep its headquarters and a hub in Minnesota.
His letter also asks the two airlines to say what additional steps Minnesota can take to ensure a high level of continued operations and presence in the state.

Pawlenty's letter followed a powerful Minnesota congressman's comments opposing any merger among top airlines. "I don't think mergers are in the best public interest, and that includes this one," U.S. Rep. Jim Oberstar (D-Minn.) said.
As chairman of the House Transportation Committee, Oberstar's opinion could be important in any merger debate.

But Georgia's Isakson said he doubts that would stop a deal.
Isakson said he understands Oberstar's opposition to the idea. Northwest probably would cease to exist under a merger, and the combined airline would likely be headquartered in Atlanta.
"In the end, it's all about routes and convenience," Isakson told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "If Minneapolis-St. Paul is provided the same basic level of service, the noise [opposition] would be minimal."
Isakson, who knows Oberstar well and who spent six years on the Transportation Committee, said the congressman's comments opposing a Delta-Northwest merger are not surprising.
"That's the natural reaction to anybody in public life," Isakson said. "I have the same parochial interests. I want to make sure Delta stays Delta and keeps its headquarters in Atlanta."
Anderson, a member of the chamber's board, did not attend Thursday's meeting. He has declined to comment on possible merger talks in light of news reports that he asked Delta's board last week for permission to begin formal merger conversations with Northwest and United.
Georgia's other U.S. senator, Republican Saxby Chambliss, issued a statement late Thursday backing the idea of Delta remaining in Atlanta.
"For more than 60 years, Delta has thrived as a leading employer of countless Georgians and has established itself as an economic engine for the Southeast," Chambliss said, "and I stand ready to do all I can to ensure that this remains the case for many years in the future."
Some airline analysts believe a Delta-Northwest merger makes sense in the financially stressed world of carriers. The airlines have to contend with too much capacity, which limits their ability to raise prices at the same time fuel costs have soared.
Trippler said he would hate to see Northwest cease to exist, but he said mergers in the airline industry are inevitable.
"As someone who lives in Minnesota, I don't want to lose a company," he said. "But the reality is that these six legacy carriers will be reduced to three. I feel badly about it, but it's just the nature of things."
The recent trip by Anderson and other Delta executives to talk to AirFrance-KLM has added another complex wrinkle to a potential merger, but it seems to point to a Delta-Northwest merger. The trip was taken just after Anderson was given board permission to pursue merger talks.
The purpose of the trip simply could have been to update nervous alliance partners on the merger discussions. Delta and AirFrance-KLM are partners in the nearly decade-old SkyTeam marketing alliance. But Delta also could be approaching Air France to buy a stake in a contemplated merger between Delta and Northwest.
Northwest also is in SkyTeam, which lets passengers accrue frequent-flier miles from the various carriers in the group.
KLM and Northwest also have antitrust immunity dating from an earlier linkup in the 1990s, which allows them to coordinate flight schedules and fares in ways that other competing airlines can't. Late last year, Delta and Air France announced similar plans for a joint venture that will give Delta its first access to London's Heathrow Airport, the busiest airport in Europe.
Air France is supplying four pairs of Heathrow slots to the joint venture.
By raising the possibility that it could defect to a rival alliance if it merges with United, Delta also could be hoping to pressure Air France to chip in valuable assets such as a cash investment or more Heathrow flying rights to encourage a merger with Northwest.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Your so sure that Delta will be Delta, and that you all will be the Merger and not the Mergee huh? Are you as sure of this as you were about Delta pilots not giving up anymore scope. As I recall you all gave it up pretty easy. Your fortune telling doesn't seem to be up to par General.

Looks pretty accurate to me.... more mainline... rjs will be reduced... parked... etc... economy of scale ?

Your so sure that Delta will be Delta, and that you all will be the Merger and not the Mergee huh? Are you as sure of this as you were about Delta pilots not giving up anymore scope. As I recall you all gave it up pretty easy. Your fortune telling doesn't seem to be up to par General.

Thanks for that. I just posted an article and highlighted a few parts. That's it. You are the one speculating here, even though you really missed the boat with your first word--Your should be You Are or You're. Everyone makes spelling mistakes etc, but that is a bad one. And giving up is easy with a BK judge in the room. You should try it sometime. Not much you can do.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Looks pretty accurate to me.... more mainline... rjs will be reduced... parked... etc... economy of scale ?

More Mainline????? If you don't learn from the mistakes made in the past you will be condemned to repeat them. Every merger I have ever seen means a net loss of mainline flying along with a large loss of Rj flying. Albeit, with that loss, revenue increases and profits follow but the need for more employees/pilots is decreased. Didn't you read that article? When you combine 6 legacies into 3 you don't get an increase in flying. HELLO mcfly. Can you say stuck in the seniority list for a long arse time.

Last edited:

What are you talking about? GL didn't provide any commentary - he just provided the article. Don't shoot the messenger!!!!!!!!!!

What are you talking about? GL didn't provide any commentary - he just provided the article. Don't shoot the messenger!!!!!!!!!!
Are you GLs backdoor man? Seem to run to his defense quite often. He's a big boy.

Are you GLs backdoor man? Seem to run to his defense quite often. He's a big boy.

Oh you got me! You gotta admit he catches a lot of flak whether he spouts off or not. I'm just pointing out that he didn't actually say anything this time to justify the remark.

I don't agree with everything GL says, but I do sorta agree with this merger scenario. You never know... That's why I am going to the fractionals as soon as they'll have me.

I appreciate his defense, but it is not needed. I showed "outtahere" he was off base, and I will do it again if needed. Who are you Johny Juan? You don't like it when people defend others? He pointed out that Outahere is a complete loser. Why don't you try to add to a discussion instead of ganging up on people? You have nothing to add, nothing to say, except to slam people. Your post was totally not needed.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back