• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Atlanta snowpocalypse 2014

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I heard your Mayor speak on TV.......WOW, what an ignorant mother F----r. He was actually blaming Everyone and everything, took ZERO responsibility.......

His idea of a fix is to stagger the traffic telling what certain groups of people can and cannot be on the road. Welcome to da atl dawg.

You snobs up north just kill me with ignorance.

In the North it gets cold, the ground freezes, then it snows a hard dry snow and it just builds up, frozen snow on frozen snow.

In the South there is no frost line per se. Usually the South gets freezing rain when the front goes through. It melts when it hits the ground and then refreezes after the front passes. It then may snow on top, thus insulating the ice beneath the snow. The ground below is warm enough still to melt the ice from below. Great!! Wet ice!! Hidden by wet snow!!

Snow storms in the South are more treacherous than that dry stuff you get up North.
Then through in:

Drivers in the South rarely get to practice driving ON ICE. I challenge you smug Northern drivers to do much better ON WET ICE.

It's been 21 years since ATL had such a major winter event.........Millions of dollars of snow removal equipment sitting around for 21 years next to a mountain of salt is not good fiscal policy.

I was in ATL area one Christmas visiting with fiance's parents when the snow got so bad that 1/2 inch wide stripe built up in the curb, the road itself was clear and dry. "Bread and Milk" "Bread and Milk" rang through the house. "I can't drive in this!" After an hour of laughing at them over their "crisis" I volunteered to drive to the store for bread and milk. Six stores later and none of them had bread or milk on the shelf.

It's where you live guys........at my house 6 inches of rain over night gets sucked into the ground within hours. I had a long stay in Grand Junction and it lightly drizzled for the afternoon. 6 PM news headline was how bad the flooding was. How much "rain" for the day? ONE QUARTER INCH. In Grand Junction the ground won't soak the water in, it just sheets of the hard ground and floods every thing down the hill.

I am going to suggest to management that we just go to permanent IROP, then we just need to send out emails for NROP. Would save a lot on my data plan!

It's been been a tough winter. These days, there is no excuse for not being prepared for weather in your area. There is a channel on TV that forecasts frozen precipitation with a high degree of accuracy. They also have a website. It's called The Weather Channel.

It's been been a tough winter. These days, there is no excuse for not being prepared for weather in your area. There is a channel on TV that forecasts frozen precipitation with a high degree of accuracy. They also have a website. It's called The Weather Channel.

DirectTV just dumped them. Whoops!

Latest resources

Back