Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
When snow event hits:

City dwellers:
Get in their Prius or wannabe SUV and attempt to flee the city.
Jam up roads and get stuck in massive traffic jam.
Sit in car until out of gas then walk to store, fire station, school, etc. to spend the night.
Sit there and wait until the government can send someone to rescue them.

Country dwellers:
Wait until there is at least one inch of snow and ice on the ground.
Jump in pickup trucks, jeeps, ATV's, Honda Accord,(basically anything with wheels and an engine) and hit the road.
Have loads of fun driving and sliding all over the place.
If someone gets stuck, grab the chain out of the back and pull them out.
Go home and sit by the fire with hot GF.

Country boy can survive.

Your thinking is correct.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm3504377344/nm1502475

It was the multiple 18-wheelers jackknifed every few hundred yards which brought everything to a halt, apparently. Guess those truckers don't know how to drive. Maybe need driving lessons from Snooki and her jersey guido buds.

Probably from jackass drivers ahead of them slamming on the brakes and swerving for no reason.

Coming into work today....most of the ice was gone. Only shadow covered areas was there still ice.

I STILL saw three accidents happen. One person on a 2 lane road didn't think to slow when the person in front of them was turning left. So they slid off the road with all 4 wheels locked. At least they didn't rear end the guy. Second and third accident were on the interstate. Most everyone doing 50-60 on mostly clear pavement in the 3 right lanes. Tons of idiots passing us on the left accelerating to 70-75 .....saw 2 cars spin out on the patchy ice.

All involved speed on 85% clean dry roads. It's like no one looks more than 10 feet in front of their car.

It wasn't the snow that was the problem. The snow melted on the roads and froze to an inch+ of ice. That and the fact that this all started from 3-5 pm as school was getting out and people were all leaving work.

I have submitted a proposal to GDOT for a contract to use crop dusters to spray the Interstates around ATL with a proprietary chemical (moonshine) to melt the ice should such an event happen again. Large quantities of this chemical are being manufactured and stored at various undisclosed locations.

Redneck ingenuity.

I work in Rome, GA. (RMG) I live less than 20 miles away. It took me almost 4 hours to get home. I drove carefully as I passed the snow plow that had slid off of the 4-lane highway into the ditch. The problem happened in ATL and other places, when the schools and employers all decided to close at the same time. It was double rush hour traffic. 19-20 degrees outside. As the snow was compacted by all of the traffic it turned into a sheet of ice that was about an inch thick. Untreated roads, no salt, no sand, no tire chains. Our snow is not like MSP snow. It's usually pretty wet and sticky. I haven't driven much in snow up north but when I did I noticed it was not nearly as slippery as down south. Not sure why. I'm no expert....just an observation.

Bingo! How can the plow and salt trucks work if every school and business in metro ATL unleashes the hounds at noon? That's a traffic disaster when its clear and dry out.

Plus, the various weather outlets had predicted 2" of snow for all of metro ATL since Saturday so I fail to see how this shocked the governor, the mayors, the bosses and the superintendents.

Bingo! How can the plow and salt trucks work if every school and business in metro ATL unleashes the hounds at noon? That's a traffic disaster when its clear and dry out.

Plus, the various weather outlets had predicted 2" of snow for all of metro ATL since Saturday so I fail to see how this shocked the governor, the mayors, the bosses and the superintendents.

That's why you salt or sand in the morning or after morning rush hour.

Latest resources

Back