Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

h25b

Left for ProPilotWorld
Got some trips coming up where the pax need to go to an event at Stone Mountain Park... I'm assuming PDK is our best option. Anything closer or more convenient for our Lear 31a ???

h25b said:
Anything closer or more convenient for our Lear 31a ???

No, there isn't. They closed Stone Mountain International Airport many years ago. You could've gotten it stopped on a 3000'X50', right ?

Wave when you drive by my house as you get near the park.

bafanguy said:
No, there isn't. They closed Stone Mountain International Airport many years ago. You could've gotten it stopped on a 3000'X50', right ?

Wave when you drive by my house as you get near the park.

Thanks, I didn't think there was anything closer. Looks like a 20-30 minute drive for the passengers...

Not sure about the distance, but you might look at LZU. It appears that if they took Hwy. 124 out of Lawrenceville to Hwy. 78, this would take them to the park. At least they wouldn't have to deal with I-285, I-85 or Spaghetti Junction.

Ultraman

LZU is faster to Stone Mountain. Like just today, a fuel truck overturned at Buford Highway and I-285 (near PDK airport). Traffic was a mess all day on I-285, Buford Highway, and Peachtree Industrial BLVD. Go to LZU and avoid having your pax on I-285.

h25b said:
Thanks, I didn't think there was anything closer. Looks like a 20-30 minute drive for the passengers...

Yeah, you can spit from my house to the park and I think LZU, in both distance and time, is a bit farther than PDK. It's a hike from my place to LZU, but PDK is just a zip onto I285 to 78 and you're just about at the park...all expressway. From LZU, depending on the route you take, it involves some surface streets if you cut over from I85.

Traffic can certainly be nasty from either place....welcome to ATL.

Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to try LZU the first day. We're going in and out of there for 3 days straight. They're are going to be driving to Stone Mountain in the morning rush, and then back during the evening rush hour. From the looks of the driving route I think LZU would keep them out of the traffic mess.

h25b said:
Thanks for the input, I think I'm going to try LZU the first day. We're going in and out of there for 3 days straight. They're are going to be driving to Stone Mountain in the morning rush, and then back during the evening rush hour. From the looks of the driving route I think LZU would keep them out of the traffic mess.

Where are your priorities?! There's no Pig-N-Chik near LZU. There is one, however, about 4 minutes from PDK http://forums.flightinfo.com/images/icons/icon30.gif. Some of the best BBQ I've ever had, and apparently the Atlanta food critics think so, too. http://www.pignchik.net/reviews1.html

Latest resources

Back