• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATL to Dobbins

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought that the bar-b-q place that you described was overated, I mean they didn't even have any baby back ribs what kind of joint is that. I liked the place that was on the main road north of Dobbins. That being said Vinings definitly has awesome places to eat if you are headed that way.

The Blue Angels were fantastic. This is the first time I have watched them perform while I was sitting in a folding lawn chair alongside the runway.

The JATO demonstration by Fat Albert (the Blue Angels' KC-130) was fantastic. It reminded me a bit of a Space Shuttle launch.

Huge crowds and perfect weather.

Fly Navy!!

Last edited:
RichO said:
I would definately say get a car....come on, how are you going to get down to the best BBQ spot...just remember at the big chicken take a right and go under the bridge, it's on the left...(I always forget the name, but I remember the directions...)....not too mention if they put you off base......

Williamson Brothers

I grew up in marietta, but live in california now. I remember watching the blues at dobbins back in '72. we would sit on top of the hill next to the graveyard overlooking the runway.

the solo's would scream over at about what seemed to be 100 feet. they were definately low.

oh ya...in those days they flew F-4s. you haven't seen the blues unless you've seen them in F-4s...nothing but raw power.

bigr said:
I grew up in marietta, but live in california now. I remember watching the blues at dobbins back in '72. we would sit on top of the hill next to the graveyard overlooking the runway.

I think that was my first airshow!

Here are some other Cobb memories for you:
The Big Chicken
Aunt Fanny's Cabin
The Playland(?) that used to be on the hill just south of Cumberland Mall
Chattahoochee Raft Race
Old South
Richway
Old 41
Windy Hill (when it was still windy)
Power Ferry Landing (Ray's on the River)

Bill Mostellar said:
I think that was my first airshow!

Here are some other Cobb memories for you:
The Big Chicken
Aunt Fanny's Cabin
The Playland(?) that used to be on the hill just south of Cumberland Mall
Chattahoochee Raft Race
Old South
Richway
Old 41
Windy Hill (when it was still windy)
Power Ferry Landing (Ray's on the River)

oh ya I remember the big chicken. when i lived there it was a private establishment, not affiliated with KFC. i remember the raft race. cumberland mall wasn't there yet. Richway was there and before that i think it was called treasure island. windy hill i remember and of course old hwy 41.

when I-75 was under construction we would go out there and play in the construction zone.

most of our shopping was done at Town and Country shopping center in those days.

nothing but fond memories of marietta:

Eastvalley elementary, east cobb jr high, wheeler high, kennesaw mountain, lockheed (my ol man was a pilot there), dobbins, sewell park...the list goes on.

i visited marietta in '97, like everywhere else it grew up.

oh, how about that dinner.....???? hmm, pretty good.....nice selection of everything.....and if the light is lit at Krispy Kreme your golden.....once a year doesn't hurt to hit the KK.............

Just spent Monday night at Dobbins.

"There's a bus right outside the front gate that runs to one of the northern MARTA stations (~30 minutes), then you could get to the airport from there."

They've closed the Main gate for security. The only gate open is on the far north end of the field, as far from any buildings either on or off base as possible. There wasn't any bus that we saw. We got a car, there's really no other option any more.

Latest resources

Back