ATL Clearance Delivery???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Flying-Corporal

Why is the format of a clearance in ATL different from any other airport in the country? First you get a squawk then dept procedure instead of "... cleared to XYZ via Dept. proced. then as filed, 10'000 feet expect FL31 etc. etc."

Isn't there any standardization?

Those that get the short version ("squawk 1,2,3,4, Summit" (or other departure procedure name)) are on a letter of agreement with the Tower. The LOA depicts that we will issue the clearance that format to the participating airlines, so their pilots are expecting exactly that phraseology. The participating airlines for the LOA are Delta, Air Tran, ASA, and Comair. All others should get their clearance in the standardized format. Having said that, those 4 airlines are about 80+% of the clearances I issue, so it may seem like everyone gets it that way, but they do not.
Hope that answers your question.

Those that get the short version ("squawk 1,2,3,4, Summit" (or other departure procedure name)) are on a letter of agreement with the Tower. The LOA depicts that we will issue the clearance that format to the participating airlines, so their pilots are expecting exactly that phraseology. The participating airlines for the LOA are Delta, Air Tran, ASA, and Comair. All others should get their clearance in the standardized format. Having said that, those 4 airlines are about 80+% of the clearances I issue, so it may seem like everyone gets it that way, but they do not.
Hope that answers your question.

What's your take on pilots just reading back the squawk code and ramp number, for non-LOA airlines?

I could care less. The less you read back, the less I am responsible for ensuring is correct. Meaning that if you readback something wrong, and I miss it, it becomes my fault. Now having said that, if you're not 100% clear on what you were issued to begin with, PLEASE read it back, or ask the question!!! That's what I am here for.
Plenty of folks simply readback the squawk. If they're satified that they copied it correctly, and have no questions, then fine. Y'all are professional pilots. When I used to work at a GA airport, and someone didn't instil confidence in me (by their voice tone and quality or their radio etiquette), I would frequently force the readback, simply to ensure that they got it right, and were not simply being intimidated by the voice on the other end of the radio. But, I say again, y'all are supposed to be professionals, so I have to trust that you got it right if you chose to not read it back.

Latest resources

Back