Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FL350

WAR EAGLE!!!!
I have heard about and had some experience with controllers in ATL being hard a$$es about 200 KIAS under class bravo. Going in and out of PDK and FTY, you never know whether or not you are in or out (250 KIAS inside 200 KIAS below). Does anyone have any suggestions on how to query ATC without being busted or incriminating yourself? As long as any controller asks I always tell them 200 regardless of my actual airspeed, but does anyone know how to get around either tooling along at 200 or lying about your airspeed?

Yes, I know you can break out the chart and get a VOR/DME fix etc etc but I personally don't have time to screw with that in busy airspace minutes before landing.

Any other suggestions would be welcome. Thanks.

FL350

I used to fly alot through the class B in ATL, and I have heard quite a few times them calling someone out about going to fast.

But its funny, I hualed checks in the middle of the night, and they give you the go fast cleared direct to the airport thing, here we were going 350 over the ground below 10.

The Atlanta Speed Trap

As I remember, on arrival and departure to the "other" airports in the ATL area, you are almost always under the Class B. In some places I think the class B floor is like 8 or 9,000'. When in doubt, slow down. It ain't worth the violation.

Besides pilots like to fly, so slow down and you'll be in the air longer.

Unless of course, there is good BBQ waiting for you at your destination. In that case, break all the rules and get on the ground as fast as possible. Declare an emergency if you have to!

JetPilot500

Re: The Atlanta Speed Trap

JetPilot500 said:
Unless of course, there is good BBQ waiting for you at your destination. In that case, break all the rules and get on the ground as fast as possible. Declare an emergency if you have to!

Did someone say BBQ in here???!!!???!!!

MMMmmmmmm..... BBQ! :D :) :p :D :) :p

The floor of the class B is up to 12,500' on the outside.If ypu are departing FTY, going west don't worry about it. If departing PDK stay at 200 or less. It's more serious east of FTY. What I do is ask ATC what speed they would like.

traded in the 900EX for a BBQ smoker....

I like a guy who has his priorites straight!

:D

Latest resources

Back