Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATIS Reports an RVR of 600..Depart or Not?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Since when does using a call-sign or tail number determine whether you're operating under part 91 or part 135 ?

You're right. You don't need to change the callsign. Just say to ATC, I am part 91 and wish to depart ---- not a big deal

100fly said:
You're right. You don't need to change the callsign. Just say to ATC, I am part 91 and wish to depart ---- not a big deal

whats this "tell atc your 91" crap. That guys doesn't care and most likely doesn't even know if your 91,135,121 and if he/she does they may or may not know the reg or diffs between them. When I flew 135 and taxied out in low vis the controler never said "hey learlove your 135 its such and such vis you can't go." In fact it even applies to 121. Its up to you, the crew to make the call based on regs: FARs and company ops specs, judgement, TO alts and so forth. No controller is going to tell you you cant go.

You may be surprised but controllers do know what's legal. They won't deny a takeoff clearance but if you takeoff illegally, they may report you. I should know as I'm a retired USAF controller, and a Capt at ASA.

Years ago at GTR the FBO I worked at (parttime) had 4-5 planes takeoff below minimums under Part 135 when the scheduled 121 flight couldn't go because the airport was below mins. As each plane rolled in to the FBO at MEM, the feds were waiting. Months later I was working approach control and talking about it. My squadron commander ( an ATC Officer also) was there, and told me he turned them in. He was at the airport seeing a friend off when the scheduled flight was CX'd, think it was either Southern or Republic.

Bottome line, don't do anything illegal as you never know who is observing.

Hoser

Nothing is illegal about it. A common practice amongst 135 freight dogs is to meet the cargo at a location that is legal for 135 operations. If the original departure airport wx is below 135 minimums, you tell your customer to meet you at a different airport, you then depart your location under 91 since there is no paying freight aboard and meet your revenue at an airport with better wx. It is nothing but a Part 91 ferry operation.

Last edited:
Hmmm.....Always thought the pic was the final authority not some meddling w@nk in the tower.

Plenty of ways to leave legal, one not mentioned is to check tower vis and if good depart the runway that doesn't have rvr available heh heh.

( He who fights could lose, He who doesn't fight has already lost )

Eagle is 666...literally 'and' for takeoff minimums. 600 TD zone, 600 midfield, 600 rollout. Check Jepps to see if you can go that low , airport restrictions, etc..Make sure you have a takeoff alternate...because you aren't coming back, easily anyway.

dueguard1 said:
Interesting interview question........ATIS reports 600 RVR, Could you legally Go or No Go??????

It depends on several variables:

The airplane, flightcrew, and airport all have to be certified, (and current), to 600 RVR---Ops specs must also be in agreement and/or allow for certain conditions that could arise---How old is the ATIS? Etc...

For the interview, this is not a question that can be answered with a "go or no go" resonse without first eliciting additional information. You need more information to make an intelligent reply. The question is probably designed to test your knowledge and see if you will cognitively go through this scenario, ask questions, and "problem solve."

Good luck,

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back