• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ATC's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't take these posts too personally, ipilot. I realize that many people spend a lot of time in the internet "subculture" where these abbreviations are considered normal. Be advised, as stated above, you are doing yourself no favors as a pilot or instructor when you choose to adopt the style of posting at the top of this thread. I'm not saying this as a broadcaster, technical writer, announcer, actor, or instructor. Strictly as a pilot, proper English, properly used, is a mark of a pilot who can be trusted with expensive aircraft and the lives of customers.

That said, let me underscore this point for you. Prepare for takeoff in a training situation BEFORE you tell ATC that you are ready for takeoff. In the Lear, we have several "runway items" that we check after receiving a takeoff clearance. They have all been accomplished before the nose is aligned with the centerline.

In a training scenario, I made certain that both the student and myself were well prepared for takeoff, takeoff without delay, or position and hold. Unless you have been asked to take that position and hold there, don't. Have the prep work done before you and the airplane taxi onto the runway. Perhaps this is the reason that ATC seems upset. They aren't seeing what they consider to be "normal procedures" from you.

If you need more time to cope with a situation, tell ATC your intentions, even if you are intending on taxiing up the runway to the next taxiway and making your way back to the threshold.

thanks for all those who replied on the original subject. thanks also to those who didn't replied on the original subject. this board is to share views between different people and what i wrote was the thing i was feeling.
i wanted people to reply on the ATC's and see if anyone agrees with me and sharing their experiences. but i guess everyone can point out mistakes on other people very good. about the pet peeves thing, i still don't care as i'm not here to impress anyone of u. avbug made a little joke of the things but its still good if i can read it. i don't say that its good to write those stuff but it surely saves sometime and when the things r not very important then it doesn't matter. i'm not going to tell my student any short cuts if its not safe and i'm certainly not going to write short hand on my resume but internet is different. as usual bobby and timebuilder r on the money. :eek:

Sheet far .... ah cain't even spell Ay Tee See.

Minh
(How 'bout dat N.C. skool system?) :D

Generally speaking most people take information found on the internet with a grain of salt. Obviously there is no exception here.

ipilot, I wish you all the luck in your future endeavors with the English language.

ali

Holy $hit this is one of the funniest threads that I have read in a while.

"Radio, whats that? Does it have anything to do with the 6 clocks on this thing?"

The monkey IS president.

(ever notice how those ears stick out, little neck, and those beady eyes? Next time you watch the news, picture a tail, and tell me if I'm right...)

Ipilot,

Now that we're done having our yucks, I do want to address your origional post in detail, because there are some important issues here.

First of all, don't take the runway until you're ready for takeoff. Don't call ready, until you're ready for takeoff. You indicated that you were waiting for the engine gages to come up in the green. You're not ready for takeoff if your powerplant isn't ready for takeoff. This being the case, you have no business on that runway, period.

Every aircraft in the world will be congregating on that runway at some point. A runway, somewhere. That makes the runway a highly likely place for a collision, and one should minimize one's time on the runway. Be ready to go and very alert when you enter it. Don't spend time sitting, reading checklists, or doing anything else there. When you cross the threshold, you're eyes up, and ready.

I won't criticize your broken english, but I didn't understand what you meant when you indicated you were holding on the runway and another aircraft was cleared onto the runway. If you had been cleared for takeoff, then no aircraft should have been cleared onto the runway. If you were told to position and hold, then there is no issue with you waiting in position, as you're adhering to ATC instruction. Your description of the event does not make sense.

I don't understand why the controller became upset at your delay with your student, if you were instructed to position and hold. This indicates to me that you weren't on a position and hold clearance. Your description seems to indicate that you were cleared for takeoff, and then took the runway and spent time doing pretakeoff checks on the runway. If this is the case, the tower controller had every right to be displeased.

Perhaps you can clarify what actually happened.

It also appears possible that the situation you're describing involved an expedited takeoff. You may be describing a request from the controller to expedite your takeoff in order to accomodate the needs of traffic landing on an adjacent runway. If the aircraft is just touching down and will be rolling onto your runway, this is tantamount to a LAHSO type operation, and I would probably refuse the clearance to take off until I had a good idea of what the other aircraft is doing. Again, there's little detailed information to go on here; all we know is that you accepted a clearance when you weren't ready (and didn't inform the controller), and that another aircraft was involved.

Think about the example this shows the student. Certainly you want to give the student time to accomplish his or her checklist and preparation. Rushing kills. Certainly you want to show the student the proper way to handle this situation. Even in a remidial way, if necessary. Everything discussed here can be avoided by holding short until all your preparations are complete. You shouldn't have to review the checklist on the runway, or write things down, make calls, or do anything else that might divert your attention from the oh-so-important task of takeoff.

Takeoff is the most critical phase of the flight; being on the runway is also a very critical time. You need to strive to show the student the important of this, and the example you set is the single most important thing you can do to reinforce this in the student's mind. I encourage you to review your proceedures and methods, and look at them from the point of view as to what is best for the student. The student is, after all the reason you're there. Good luck!!

Latest resources

Back