Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Jimmy V.

Hello everyone

I was wondering if you guys are aware of any hiring freeze for controllers by the FAA?

I used to be a ATC student about 3 years ago, I left the community college that I attended and am now thinking about getting restarted. I do remember that when I was in school for ATC there was a lot of discussion about the future of hiring. The FAA said everything is fine and no need for more controllers and the controllers ware saying the opposite, "tons of people will retire and we will need replacements"

Do you guys know what the current status of the controller hiring is? Also will the proposed privatisation possibly take place?

Sorry if my questions are stupid, I have not cared about aviation for the last three years and I am sure much has happened.

Thank you

Jimmy

I'm in an ATC program now. Not trying to be a downer, but it's a cluster fvck as far as hiring and all the speculation of potential hiring.

For some more details, check out www.atccti.com

This topic has been beatin to death lately.

Yes, its true. The FAA is on a freeze right now with the exception of a group of Alaska new hires at the academy right now. Not sure when the freeze will stop but its still a while out. Thank god I was the second to last class before the freeze. Should open up around sometime next year after the elections and when the FAA restructuring is semi complete. Its a mess right now. There is barley no movement what so ever in the biz right now with exception to swaps.

Jimmy ...

There are so many rumors I couldn't begin to type them all. I'll tell you what I have seen first hand, my facility (ZNY) we just got 8 new people, all MARC students who have been assigned to Oceanic to help with staffing while ATOP training is being conducted. They reported to the floor from the classroom this past weekend. The primary reason they were hired was due to the need for some bodies to facilitate ATOP training **BUT** we needed the bodies anyway.

You're also beginning to see some movement in the FAA... supervisor bids are going out and being filled, we have seen some controllers released for transfers in the last few months. These are all signs that the wheels are starting to move. I look around the area I work and see 2 supervisors and 4 controllers retiring in the next 2 years, I have attended two retirement parties this year.

Now for some rumors... with the FSS's probably going to be privatized those people will be flowed over to the ATC side to help staffing... how and if this will actually work is yet to be determined.

My $.02 ... if you can afford the time and $$$ to complete CTI I would do it. The agency is going to have to hire in the next few years... especially at the big facilities... they are simply running out of bodies. I tell people the advice I was given, complete the requirements, get on the list, and go on with your life and be patient. Have a plan B... I had forgotten about the FAA, came home one day to find a message and the rest is history...

Lrjcaptain is right... not much happens in an election year...

Good Luck !

Thanx for all your replies, I appreciate it.

I am leaning towards giving it a go again. I would need about 12 more credits to complete the program I was in.

Jimmy V

Does anybody have any experience with the Miami-Dade College ATC-CTI program?

I know nothing about the Miami-Dade program, I do know that the one in Minneapolis is closed for the time being. It might be that the Minneapolis school is the only one that closed but they stated lack of congressional funding or something like that as a reason for closing down so I guess other schools might have closed (for the time being) as well, but like I said, when it comes to Miami-Dade, I have no idea.

Jimmy

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back