Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ATC@LWSK

Hi all,
I am an Air Traffic Controller at Skopje Airport in Macedonia (LWSK). I am thinking about switching to an Airline Dispatcher career. The reason for this is that I am about to move to US as I received my permanent resident status recently. I can not seek employment with the FAA as they only hire US Citizens, and I wll become one after 5 years. By that time, I will be over 31 yrs of age, so I will not meet the age requirement. So the only thing that I can think of doing, that's close to my working experience, is Airline Dispatcher. The schools that I am looking at enrolling for the ADX course are Sheffield or IFOD. I will probably go to Sheffield, based on what I've read on internet and on this forum. So can you guys share your experience with regards to getting hired by an airline, what salary am I looking at (I also would like to ask if someone can e-mail me the starting salary list that was on WDFF) and what are the chances of getting picked up after I get my licence. Would that starting salary be enough to pay the bills and support the family of 3?
Well, thanks for any sugestion you guys may have, and looking forward to dispatch with you.
Cheers,

ATC@LWSK

The school does not matter in the scheme of things...you will most likely have many offers to work for regionals......you won't make near enough money to support yourself let alone a family of 3 unless your spouse works and you take a scond job,,,
My suggestion is to look at another field, dispatching is great the pay sucks for a long time...first 36 months at least.
cheers back to you..

Last edited:
rvsm410 said:
The school does not matter in the scheme of things...you will most likely have many offers to work for regionals......you wont make near enough money to support yourself let alone a family of 3 unless your spouse works and you tae a scond job,,,
My suggestion is to look at another field, dispatching is great the pay sucks for a long time...
cheers back to you..

Dont listen to his B.S. about pay....he is right about schools though....

Sure its not a 6 figure income, but you can make a decent living 'spatching. Last year I grossed just under $50,000. Not bad, in my opinion for less than 4 years at my current job. Send me a PM for more info.

uhhh...

I might be wrong, but, not only does the FAA hire only US citizens, BUT I THINK MAJOR AIRLINES HIRE ONLY US CITIZENS TOO.

good luck

DX Jake said:
uhhh...

I might be wrong, but, not only does the FAA hire only US citizens, BUT I THINK MAJOR AIRLINES HIRE ONLY US CITIZENS TOO.

good luck

Jake,
From what I've seen when there's a job opening for Dispatchers, one of the requirements for the candidates is to be legally eligible to work in the States. There's no formal requirement for a Dispatcher to be a US citizen, like there's in the FAA for ATC. Now if they prefer a US citizen over a US permanent resident, I can't do anything about that. But as far as applying and being invited for an interview, I have just as right as every US citizen.
cheers,

ATC@LWSK

We've got a couple of [SIZE=-1]aliens here at SkyWest. We're not that far from Area 51 either... makes ya wonder...
[/SIZE]

the Usual...

homerjdispatch said:
Dont listen to his B.S. about pay....he is right about schools though....

Sure its not a 6 figure income, but you can make a decent living 'spatching. Last year I grossed just under $50,000. Not bad, in my opinion for less than 4 years at my current job. Send me a PM for more info.

Just for clairification....I was talking about the pay for years 1 thru 3....sure you can make beter money as my friend Homer stated, if you are willing to work over time as well...However in may cities even $50K is tough to live on with a family of 3....just my usual 2 cents worth.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back