ATC mistake

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Boch

last night its 500 ovc and 5 miles, I'm getting vectors to the ILS 23L. Approach tells me that they changed runways to 5R and gives me a new vector. no prob. the 23L ILS and 5R ILS have the same LOC freq. Now about 5 from the marker and on the 30degree or so intersept vector, my HSI shows the loc behind me(like I flew through it) I get the drift of what has happend and fly it like the backcourse it is. and quickly ask tower to change the ILS so its on 5R insted of 23L. breaking out I see the rabbit on for 23L and nothing for 5R.

I dont want to be a jerk but this kinda thing could be bad for a guy with wet ink on the instrument ticket.

should I do something?

do I need to say it? ya I better, 23L and 5R is the same strech of concrete, just different ends.

The two navaids may share the same frequency, but more likely than not they don't share the same identifier.

Properly identified, the navaid mistake would be caught prior to course interception and the crisis would be averted.

The two navaids may share the same frequency, but more likely than not they don't share the same identifier.

Properly identified, the navaid mistake would be caught prior to course interception and the crisis would be averted.

They WILL not share the same morse code identifier (unless it IS a back course approach) Sounds like you were heading to Willow Run, If so flip the page and look at DTW you will see 3 frequencies for the main paralells (3L,4's,21R,22's) each strip of pavement has one frequency. There are 6 different morse codes, one for each runway designation.

the point of the matter is I should have ID'd the nav aid no matter the short vector for an approach i was not expecting. (all this Ident stuff still would not have put the approach lights on the correct rwy) my main reason for posting was to get some insite from fellow pilots regarding if I should say anything to the tower people regarding what happend. Im not up set about it at all, just want them to know it could have turned out worse.

no need for the I know more than you about flying talk.

WMUSIGPI you get a cookie, it was YIP
sorry for the spelling

If you feel that this is a safety issue file a NASA form.

That is the primary reason for their existence.

the point of the matter is I should have ID'd the nav aid no matter the short vector for an approach i was not expecting. (all this Ident stuff still would not have put the approach lights on the correct rwy) my main reason for posting was to get some insite from fellow pilots regarding if I should say anything to the tower people regarding what happend. Im not up set about it at all, just want them to know it could have turned out worse.

no need for the I know more than you about flying talk.

WMUSIGPI you get a cookie, it was YIP
sorry for the spelling
You are the Pilot in Command. If you don't think that you are ready for something like a last minute ILS approach assignment, then decline the approach clearance. You fly your aircraft, not ATC. They will put you into a tight spot every time if you let them.

I wouldn't go that far. Don't let them fly your airplane but we (ATC and pilots are on the same side).

Pilots and ATC are no longer on the same side. After this new mandate for more violations. Just ask one of them off freq. and they will tell you that they are to report any and all deviations.

Latest resources

Back