ATC Job Qualifications

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Guys and Gals,
I hate to be the optimist here, but it was like this after the strike too. If you have a desire to try, then do it now! Seniority will benefit you down the road if you're qualified and make the training cut. When I came in back in the 1980s, a lot of people were being washed out. Now the FAA has dumbed this down so much that almost anyone can do it, and they have employed a "train to succeed" mantra. Don't listen to the bad press put out by NATCA. This is a great job. And in today's economy, you won't find anything better than a govt pension at the end. I have an ASA pilot living in my home, and I can tell you first hand the difference in what he has to put up with in terms of BS from his employer far outweighs what the FAA is doing these days. Its not perfect, but nothing is. Every job will have its issues. I love my job, even under the new work rules and pay.

Last edited:
atl pilot must be management....

but seriously....

yes, seniority is everything but you're too late. they've hired so many already you will never hold straight weekends off. i was hired at the very beginning of the wave and already have about 20 below me in my area alone....about 100 in the building.

yes, they have dumbed down training but apparently they are getting ready to change the way training is done at the academy...expect to see more fail out. and we have plenty failing out at my facility...not like it used to be though.

NATCA doesn't spout bad press, they spout the truth. we are losing 4 controllers per day to retirement and resignations. the faa waited too long to start hiring. we are understaffed. many facilities are working 6 day work weeks. you will do shift work and work holidays. the pay is crap at smaller facilities. pay was cut by 30% across the board. most management couldn't separate 2 planes and that's why they are management. i could go on and on.....

No atl pilot is just a controller living under the imposed work rules. However, its all what you make it. Just like any job.

I loved that movie... Pushing Tin... where doI sign up?

My FO last month said the same thing about "Catch Me if You Can"...thought being a pilot'd be a great job for picking up chicks, and then spent the month trying to kill me. I think Frank Abagnale knew more about flying than him. Tragically, he's not one of the 27 getting furloughed.

Sounds like the fAA is hiring just about anything with a pulse. I was getting the aTIS a few weeks ago at my home airport and it sounded like an ebonix lesson. Then, getting the full rout clearance, the controller was reading and giggling when they messed up, which was alot. Also, the clearance contained an unusual amount of "uh's" and "Um's".

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back