ATC Hiring "off the street"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Problow

I've read they are planning to allows testing and hiring off the street. I have a pretty extensive aviation background. Just curious as to where and how to take the test. I've looked on the faa site but don't see exactly where to begin. Is there someone to contact or call, or just apply to the controller opening job coded 2152. Any help in the "off the street process would be nice" thanks!

Thanks, I have read all the info and looked today. Low and behold there are new openings posted. I have read the starting pay after OAK city is roughly 36,000. How quick does the certification and training process happen and how quickly do you reach the 70,000 pay level. Once picked and in a position how do you go about moving to other locations within the system. Say if you got jacksonville and wanted atlanta what is the process.

Problow,

Just curious why you would want to kick someone out of their $70-$120+ paying job to start at $36k? Understanding that Unions can be detrimental to a company by jacking up the labor costs to unaffordable levels, do you honestly think the FAA will ever pay these new-hires $70k a year? Granted the FAA will probably shoot themselves in the foot by elimnating, through layoffs and attrition, so many controlers that they'll have to pay some kind of good salary, but you will get less sleep than I do.

Not to worry, I'm just bitter because the FAA gets away with age discrimination by refusing anyone over the age of 31.

hey

it will take you about 3 years to reach 70k and that is about all you will ever make under this new contract. pm if you want more.

www.faa.gov you can find all the job listings you want.

if it is something you really want to do, then call the local center and go out and talk with the chief and training dept.

altscap

I dont know what you are talking about. If you dont know the answers to the question just keep your opinion to yourself. Looks as though you fly for a regional. I'm sure your all to familar with the union lifestyle. Thanks though for your time.

Not to worry, I'm just bitter because the FAA gets away with age discrimination by refusing anyone over the age of 31.

That makes me bitter also but...

Sounds like the FAA isn't the best agency to work for these days from what I'm hearing from old contacts.

Ex-military controller here.

Just curious why you would want to kick someone out of their $70-$120+ paying job to start at $36k?

"kick someone out." Hahaha... like he's taking food out of someone's mouth. Man I love FI. The guy is interested in ATC and lookin for a job and you accuse him of "kicking someone out of a job."

Thanks, I have read all the info and looked today. Low and behold there are new openings posted. I have read the starting pay after OAK city is roughly 36,000. How quick does the certification and training process happen and how quickly do you reach the 70,000 pay level. Once picked and in a position how do you go about moving to other locations within the system. Say if you got jacksonville and wanted atlanta what is the process.

It all depends on what facility you work at. Check out can take 2-5 years. Once checked out at a level 11 facility, you make about $80,000 depending on your locality. If you are at a smaller facility, you may only make $55,000. As far as transfering, if you are at a hard to staff facility like Oakland Center, it'll be next to impossible to transfer out.

If you go to a school like you use to do you still start at $36,000? And is the top pay different? Any links to the new contract. Didn't here anything about it.

Latest resources

Back