Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AdlerDriver

Can't even hold reserve!
What rate of descent does ATC normally expect from aircraft?
Do they differentiate between a cruise descent, descent into the terminal area or a descent on vectors to final?
I've heard plenty of opinions on this so I'd appreciate an actual reference to backup your answer. Thanks.

It depends on where you are. I'm not sure of the regs, but in Chicago's area I've gotten yelled at for not maintaining at least 1000FPM.

The only thing I remember seeing is in the AIM, in the final 1000 feet of a climb or descent use between 500 and 1500 fpm to preclude causing an unneeded TCAS TA or RA.

It depends on where you are. I'm not sure of the regs, but in Chicago's area I've gotten yelled at for not maintaining at least 1000FPM.

Thats right....we chicago controllers are so known for yelling...don't think so!

Fly the freaking plane, climb and descend to what ever you and the plane are comfortable doing. If unable to climb or descend at 500fpm or greater.....Advise us.....other then that....Fly the plane the way you need to fly it.

Thats right....we chicago controllers are so known for yelling...don't think so!

Fly the freaking plane, climb and descend to what ever you and the plane are comfortable doing. If unable to climb or descend at 500fpm or greater.....Advise us.....other then that....Fly the plane the way you need to fly it.
Actually not true, while I was at Eagle I got reamed out by Chicago departure for climbing at 200 KTS, due to weather we were trying to get on top of. Controller was livid that we dare not accelerate to 250 KIAS once we had complied with the ORD 1 crossing restrictions.

Sorry man, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers but it's true. During peak traffic periods while transiting near the city of Chicago I have been told quite a few times to increase my rate of descent. If I tried to keep a shallow descent until I intercepted a normal descent profile I got a call to increase it. Chicago has a habit of descending you early if you are going eastward and landing in the DTW area. I figure it's to keep clear of the arrivals and departures. I never said it bothered me or anything. It's just the way it is.

Sorry man, I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers but it's true. During peak traffic periods while transiting near the city of Chicago I have been told quite a few times to increase my rate of descent. If I tried to keep a shallow descent until I intercepted a normal descent profile I got a call to increase it. Chicago has a habit of descending you early if you are going eastward and landing in the DTW area. I figure it's to keep clear of the arrivals and departures. I never said it bothered me or anything. It's just the way it is.

Same here. I use a 3000-3500fpm profile in the VNAV on the Lear with pax, and 4000-4500fpm empty. Any descent given before I hit my profile is made at 1000fpm until ATC says something, which they almost always do esp in Chicago and NY. In the busy areas they seem to expect 1500-2000fpm minimum. In their defense it seems it's usually to accomodate LOAs with other sectors/centers. Hope the NextGen ATC system fixes this!

AIM 4-4-9 Adherence to Clearance would probably be your best reference-

"descend or climb at an optimum rate consistent with the operating charactistics of the aircraft to 1000 feet above or below then between 500-1500fpm"

thats out of a 3 year old AIM but im guessing it hasnt changed a whole lot.

Latest resources

Back