Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

otis

Brewer, Patriot
Ive read on previous messages that the L1011 schedule can run 8 days out or more at a time, but what about the 737 and 757 lines. Are they more like the average airline? How do they decide which aircraft you will get?

Thanks,
Otis

otis-

You will be assigned aircraft type when ATA calls and invites you to a class. Recently, most of the newhires are going into the 757.

I'm on the 737 and was just awarded my line for June. I'm near the bottom of the list in MDW but I've been holding a line since coming out of training. My June schedule consist of 4 4-day trips, 14 days off and 76 hours credit.

Good Luck.

sayagain?

L-1011 schedules

I am a new hire L-1011 FO, been online about four months.

The type of work the L-10 is doing right now is such that I won't leave the house without my 8-day "world-pack" and laundry tabs for some sink-washing! I haven't had a trip yet that was less than 12 days (the maximum is 12, extendable to 14 in dire circumstances). Most trips I am sent out on start as 4 or 5 day pairings that get extended all the way to 12. I have been to Japan, all over Europe, the Med, and the Middle East.

It is sure to slow a bit, as I got online just as the full force of the military movement was hitting its stride, but I am hearing that it will be generally busy for a while.

The good thing is that usually this entails a lot of premium pay for going into days off, int'l trips over 7 days, and a host of other pay bumps. It is literally about double newhire base pay so far. I have had to reintroduce myself to my girlfriend, friends, and family....the dog barks at me now.......etc., etc.

It is also a huge amount of fun with some of the most exotic and challenging flying I have done (and a really cool sled to tour the world in too!). It's not for everyone, but if you come here and get the L-10, get ready for a fun adventure (and bring an extra liver!).

And another thing

Otis - I noticed you're an FO on a 74.... I would guess you're doing a lot of what we do and go the same kind of places.... ATA does have some very decent contract scheduling provisions, I think, compared to what I have heard about other long haul operators.

I looked at 737 and 757 bid packs and my thought was that the overall lines looked pretty good, like most any other airline's that I have seen.

ATA still needs to make an effort to make commutable lines.Most pairings start early or end late(or both).They also need to be more efficient.Example: on a 5-day pairing we had a 24hr. layover,a 30 hr. layover and a 25 hr. layover.We flew one leg on the first day and one leg on the last day.Literally ran down the jetway,flagged down a mechanic and had him drive me to the Saab to catch the last flight home.And they say they are constantly short on crew !

Wish I knew.I've heard rumors but nothing for sure.Maybe there is someone else out there that knows more.Too bad C8 has some things like that and computerized wt. and bal. that we don't have.Believe it or not,FOs still have to fill out the from by hand.Too easy to make mistakes.Maybe one day before I retire I'll see a fuller use of ACARS so we don't have to make all those company radio calls.OK, I'm done whining(for now).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back