Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atpcliff

Hi!

ATA has been picking up their training classes lately.

I was just talking to a guy who said it was because they were getting RJs and all of the new pilots were going to fly RJs until they could move up to bigger equipment.

I have never heard anything remotely like this at all.

The closest I've heard is that Chicago Express (the 100% w.o. feeder for ATA) may be getting RJs or (SAAB 2000s).

I'm about 95% sure this rumour is totally wrong.

Comments/opinions please.

Cliff
ELP

atpcliff,
I don't want to take away from the reason for your post, but I have a quick question for you.
Is your avatar from a movie or show, it looks like Natalie Portman?
Again I am sorry for the detraction.

SLC

Looks like Jennifer Garner to me, the sweet lookin girl from Alias, she has a pirate hat on though, it's hard to tell who it is.

SELFloadingCRGO said:
atpcliff,
I don't want to take away from the reason for your post, but I have a quick question for you.
Is your avatar from a movie or show, it looks like Natalie Portman?
Again I am sorry for the detraction.

SLC

CRGO,

Cliff's signature used to give her name. If I remember correctly, her name is Monica Belluchi. He also used to show an address for her fan website. It would seem that Cliffi is quite smitten.

enigma

atpcliff said:
I was just talking to a guy who said it was because they were getting RJs and all of the new pilots were going to fly RJs until they could move up to bigger equipment.

Cliff, that dude was smokin yer pole. ATA's problem has been too MANY airplanes lately. We are getting at least five Quality Pre-owned 757's and a couple of 737's next year.

As far as C8 getting new aircraft, I have heard that they were looking at Saab 2000's, but I'm not sure how they would fund the aquisition. They had looked at RJ's, but were too expensive to make the cut. I could be wrong about this, though, This is all based on rumor and hearsay. Just like 90% of the stuff on this forum.

Last edited:
the rumor I've heard is the one with the Saab 2000's. But I heard they are only in the looking phase. I don't think RJ's wouldn't be cost efficient on the current C8 route structure as RJ's don't always produce the lowest CASM's on shorter stage lengths. The S2000 seems like a good choice as it can hold 50 pax and is inline with the same type (saab) that is already being flown by C8. I know the 340's took a hit on the new Pax weights and with the increased lift that C8 has been doing this year a new type of A/C is definitely needed. But as is in most cases, money is always the issue.

From what I have heard lately is that the S2000 will be the most likely choice with the Bombardier Q400 coming in second place.

The saab 2000 would be sweet. I see a corp. version in DTW every once in a while and looks like a nice bird. After looking at the saab leasing site, looks like they can't give 'em away. I bet lease rates would be atractive. Just think, jet performance on a turbo-prop platform. Oh yeah! But, as we all know, rumors are a dime a dozen these days.

Saab 2000?!?
No way...no real customer support, not being built anymore, and incidentially, what do you think happens to the price, when you announce that's your fleet type on an aircraft that has what, 30 units worldwide? What's the parts commonality between a 340 and a 2000?

Dash is the way to go. They do need the RJ's though, eventually.

I agree...

with AceCrackShot. The Dash 8 is the way to go. The Q400 (?) model is what C8 needs. Holds a lot of people, REALLY fast, and great short field capabilities, perfect for MDW in the winter. Don't know what the aquisition costs are though. Could be a huge factor if you can get Saab 2000's for dirt cheap.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back