ATA Reorg?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SaabStory

So what's the deal with this CEO shuffle / Company reorg? Any of you guys have a take on this? With so little stock outstanding it's tough to tie share price, to press releases with any degree of certainty. Good, Bad, set-up for things to come....?
"daytrader"

I guess the real question is if the ATA Charter Division would still be staffed by, and under the contract of the ATA pilots?

I assume by charter, they also mean the sizeable military contract and not just the occasional funjet-kinda flying...

Any word?

Under John Tague, ATA expanded scheduled service while decreasing its charter operation. The scheduled service side has not been profitable. My guess on the shakeup is that George Mikelsons wants to increase the charter business. Currently our L1011s are only being utilized 3.5 hours a day. Hard to make money with an airplane sitting on the ground.

Some say separating the two divisions would make ATA more atractive to a buyer. However, in today's climate, I doubt anyone would be interested in buying any part of the airline. There have always been rumors that George would sell the scheduled service with the shiny new 757s and 737s and keep his beloved L1011s to run charter.

I really don't know what will happen. I am concerned, as are many who work in or are furloughed from the airlines. I only hope that ATA, along with all the airlines can return to profitability soon.

As for pilot hiring, my guess is that it will probably continue as long as ATA continues to take delivery of new airplanes. However, unless the L1011s can be utilized more, it wouldn't suprise me to see some of them retired soon.

Finally, on a personal note I'm bummed because I was informed yesterday that I'm being displaced from my LAX base. I can stay on the TriStar only if I'm willing to commute to Indy or New York. Since I've commuted before and don't feel like doing it again, I'll probably bid the right seat of a 757 so I can stay based at LAX. Guess all good things end some time, but I hate giving it up so soon.

Wishing some good luck on the airline industry. We all could sure use some...

TriStar_drvr:

Did the company put out a new perm. bid? Are there any openings on it?

Sorry to hear about having to switch euip in order to stay in California. At least you have that option.

sayagain?

Did the company put out a new perm. bid? Are there any openings on it?

No, several pilots ahead of me in LAX on the L1011 had bid the 757 in LAX. The company is so far behind in training, that these guys are months past their bid effective date. The contract allows for those not trained within a given amount of time to be released from their bid. Enough asked to be released to bump me out the bottom of the base list. Now some poor guy on the bottom of the 757 list in LAX is going to get bumped out by me.:(

TriStar_drvr:

Thanks for the information. I was hoping for the "heavy" if hired but now was wondering with the splitting of the scheduled and chater service, which would be best? It's all a moot point if I screw up the interview.

sayagain?

Contract Language?

Just curious about the timing of this change and the recent contract ratification. Being a bit paranoid, is there language in the contract (or lack there of) that would make this seperation of charter ops beneficial for the company while hurting the pilots. Does the charter side operate on the same certificate as the scheduled side?

I would be little concerned about the seat swap. Mikelsons wants to run the ship badly. If I were a betting man, I'd say that the MEC has addressed the issue in detail.

Latest resources

Back