Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ccfly

ATA Class

Has anyone heard from ATA for the next class. I thought they said it would be the end of July I'm just wondering if anyone got the call yet.

Last edited:
Back from ten days of living in an internet free zone, I thought I'd give a little info.

From the recent base/status bid results, the following are vacancies that were created by FOs upgrading to Captain and were left unfilled (i.e. available to newhires):

Eff. October 1

13 B757 FO CHI
16 B737 FO CHI
6 L1011 FO IND

Eff. November 1

3 B737 FO IND
7 B737 FO CHI
1 B757 FO CHI
1 L1011 FO LAX (vacated by me!)

I was suprised by the number of FOs that bypassed a Captain position. The most junior Captain position was awarded to a pilot with a March 29, 1999 hire date (Only 17 numbers senior to me! :( )

Tristar_Drvr,

So, what will you fly next - 757 or the 737-800? Another question - as a Tristar driver, where was the most interesting destination you have flown for ATA? And, how long will you have flown the Tristar when you leave it - years and approx. hours?

Thanks

Yup.

I got called today. BARELY two weeks notice, for the July 28th class (757 they told me).

I would have liked that LAX L-10 slot!!!

Hopefully I can bid into it @ some point.

-T

Resign Seniority?

Do any of you know if ATA requires you to resign your seniority if you are furloughed from another company?

Tristar_Drvr,

So, what will you fly next - 757 or the 737-800? Another question - as a Tristar driver, where was the most interesting destination you have flown for ATA? And, how long will you have flown the Tristar when you leave it - years and approx. hours?

I'm going to 757, still based at LAX. Although I had slim hopes of going straight to Captain on the TriStar, I finally came to the conclusion that that chance was extremely remote decided to go to a "modern" airplane. I've been on the L10 for a little over two years and flown it for around 700 hours. Most interesting destination was probably Sophia, Bulgaria (on IOE no less). I had hoped to get out to Kyrgyzstan, or someplace in Africa. I never got to South America either, and am sad I missed some trips to the southern tip city of Ushuaia. Mostly I went to Europe, the Middle East, and Japan.

It's sad to see the end of the L1011 fleet at ATA. I would have loved to have had the chance to fly one of the round the world trips in the 88 pax TriStar that ATA used to regularly do. You should hear the stories from the oldtimers about the Air Afrique subservice days of living in Paris and flying to places like Ougadougou. Basically, I got to ATA and on the TriStar a few years too late.

However, I still will have a lot of memories, and wouldn't trade any of the experiences for anything. Although I tried like everyone to get hired by the Uniteds, Americans, and Deltas of the industry, I now feel very fortunate that it was ATA that chose to hire me.

The bottom line is that ATA has become a very different airline than what it once was. The good part is that the pay and work rules are much better and we even have a retirement plan. The bad news is that the type of flying that made ATA such a special place to work is becoming a thing of the past.

Anyway, sorry this turned into such a personal lament. As you can probably tell, I have mixed feelings about leaving the L10. I guess I'm having some bidder's remorse. Oh well, I did notice a trip to Bishkek in open time coming up. Perhaps I can convince scheduling to put me on it as my TriStar swan song...

I have been to bishkek twice--- interesting to say it but in my opinion wasnt the most exciting. Of course I didnt have an overnight there but the airport is fairly bleak so cant say your missing too much!

Stukadriver

The answer to yr Q is - yes, you do. If you are furloughed, I would not give it a second thought, unless you are in yr 30s. From everything I have been reading on these boards, ATA is a great place to work & they are the ONLY major still hiring! Enough said?

:) :)

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back