Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MDP727

As LCCs Soar, ATA To Add Business Class

FEBRUARY 05, 2004 -- Low-cost carrier ATA Airlines, the nation's 10th-largest commercial airline, next week plans to announce a new business class for its scheduled service fleet. Beginning in August, ATA will roll out the new product across its entire network. A premium product is a departure from the traditional low-cost strategy, but a company official said it will be a cornerstone of the airline's corporate sales efforts. Walk-up business class fares will be capped at $399, just $100 more than the cap on walk-up coach fares.

"We researched our customers, and they told us they wanted a business class," the official said. The new premium cabin particularly will help attract business on ATA's new transcontinental services (BTN, Oct. 20, 2003).

Next week's announcement would follow recent positive financial developments for the Indianapolis-based carrier. Earlier this week, parent company ATA Holdings Corp. posted its first full-year net profit since the 2001 terrorist attacks--albeit aided by U.S. government funds. It also reported for the first time full-year scheduled service revenue above $1 billion and received positive statements from Standard & Poor's Ratings Services and Moody's Investors Service regarding the company's recent actions to defer near-term cash obligations and bolster liquidity.

The reconfiguration--which will reduce the total number of seats on each plane--also will help ATA slow total capacity growth from 20 percent in 2003 to a 9 percent target in 2004

Business Class

Cool!! I think it is a good idea to get some of the business travelers back. I wonder how many business seats we will have on each airplane (737/757)? or how many seats will have to be removed on each one depending on how you look at it?

Will this affect how we do Weight and Balance? I have a hard enought time adding Adults + Children then converting to our PFM Arm/Moment??Weight thing. When do Summer Weights start?

Summer Weights

I think it is May 1st for Summer weights. I guess having a buisiness class with less total seats will make it easier to take off out of MDW in the summer time on a hot day and be able to make it out to the west coast with a little more extra gas than normal. That will be good!!

hey texanpilot

Wanna borrow my calculator! And hurry up, the gate agent is waiting for the paperwork!!!!

-TC

I recently read in the Pacific Stars and Stripes that the military would be ending it's "Patriot Express" passenger service by 2006. Just curious how that might affect ATA's situation, i.e., how important is the government business to their bottom line? I think they and World are two (there may be more) of the companies doing this kind of charter work.

Regards,

Diceman

Hey Texan

okay paperwork looks good.....oh wait I just turned around and noticed there are 30 less people than on the load sheet and....oh wait the ramper said there's a 1000 pounds of cargo in 3 he forgot to add....oh and wait there's 2 minutes til go time....oh and wait is that scheduling calling on your cell phone?.....oh and the new atis is out.......and DANM now it's raining and the runway is Wet!redo the performance!.....but wait stop for a minute so the Captain can give his Takeoff brief at the Gate...........and SH!T we forgot to call clearance!!!have fun ;)

Re: Hey Texan

UM#1 said:
okay paperwork looks good.....oh wait I just turned around and noticed there are 30 less people than on the load sheet and....oh wait the ramper said there's a 1000 pounds of cargo in 3 he forgot to add....oh and wait there's 2 minutes til go time....oh and wait is that scheduling calling on your cell phone?.....oh and the new atis is out.......and DANM now it's raining and the runway is Wet!redo the performance!.....but wait stop for a minute so the Captain can give his Takeoff brief at the Gate...........and SH!T we forgot to call clearance!!!have fun ;)

Man, you listed the contents of my recurring nightmares. Those, and just as the cabin door is closing for a flight that's YOUR leg the Captain mumbles, 'Did you get the walk - around?'.

Y'all need to come to the Tristar. We just use fictional- I mean actual- weights.

Ps- TC: check your PMs

Latest resources

Back