ATA App question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Skater

Does anyone know if ATA is handing out apps more freely? I sent a resume in Sep and received an app a few days later. I just did a type rating course at Higher Power and a just retired C-130 guy had the same thing happen. I saw the same thing from another guy on an earlier post. Just wondering if they are sending everyone who submits a resume an app to collect the $60 dollar app fee from as many people as they can. I sent the app back in the middle of Oct and obviously haven't heard anything. Anybody else in the same boat?

I sent them my resume a couple of times and have not heard anything. Most people say you have to know someone there. The old catch 22. But I'll send them another one soon

AirInc may make the difference

I know someone at ATA, and just sent in my app. Just got the postcard back two weeks ago.

However, I know a couple of guys who got apps from ATA by handing in their resume at AirInc conferences, without inside help.

Sent the app in over the summer. No postcard. They cashed my check, though!

Don't know anything about handing out apps more freely, but, if you turned in your app in the middle of Oct. it was probably too late for an interview this year. As for me, my resume with LOR was mailed in by my ATA colleague on Sep 3rd. I recieved an app on Sep 13th. I mailed my app (hand written by my wife, who has much better penmanship than me, with an attached MS word document answering the essay questions in approximately the same amount of space as was provided, using about 60% aviation stories and 40% personal) on Sep 18th. They cashed my check on Sep 26th. I was called on Oct 15th for a Nov 3rd interview. I received an offer letter on Nov 14th, and am waiting for a class date. They interviewed the week of Nov 7th as well, but that's it for this year. As far as I know nothing is scheduled yet but there are rumors of more interviews in the middle of Jan. They did tell us that they receive an average of 300 resumes a week.

The process as I understand it is...Resume/LOR gets you the app, answers to essay questions get you the interview, interview/sim ride gets you the job. There was a post a while back about busted checkrides, and whether or not to put them on the app. During the introduction part of the interview, they tell you that there is a poorly worded question on the app concernig failed "PC's" (or other evaluations). They want to know if you have failed any checkride from private on up. They also realize that some people may have interpreted the question to mean something else. They then give you the chance to "fess up". I can attest that they don't really care if you failed two checkrides 15 years ago and answered "no" to the question as long as you tell them about it. They are looking for honesty more than a perfect record.

Hang in there, it seems like it will be a great place to work.

Treading water in the natatorium in IND.
Drew

Let me rephrase that question. Do you think 1) getting an application means there is a good chance of getting an interview or 2) they are now handing out a lot more applications and will have a huge pile of apps and a lot of people who will never get interviewed.

Skater said:
Let me rephrase that question. Do you think 1) getting an application means there is a good chance of getting an interview or 2) they are now handing out a lot more applications and will have a huge pile of apps and a lot of people who will never get interviewed.

1. Yes, as long as you have an internal recommendation. Without one, they are interested, but your quals need to be pretty good (1200 pt. 121 PIC turbine, some large jet experience).

2. I don't think they are handing out any more apps versus resumes received, since it just means more work for the hiring department. I just got done talking to the Director of Training, and he said that we will hire at least 100 (with a possibility of significantly more) in the next year. They are absolutely NOT fishing for application fees.

I don't know too much about ATA, but jumpseated with an FE of theirs to SAN a couple of years back. He loved it there and I have to say his enthusiasm for working there definitely put them on my list of companies to apply to. Had a friend interview there recently. Just sent a resume, was sent an ap. Filled it out and was invited to the interview. He didn't have inside help. Maybe he was an exception to the rule, but best of luck to all of you!!!

response to ATA app question

ATA is upgrading approx 100 FOs to Capt in 2004.

The plan for 2004 is to hire approx 100 per quarter.

The heavy time is good but not necessary. There have been plenty of corporate and commuter new hires. About one out of ten are female. There are a lot of TWA folks. There is a mix of furloughed crewmembers. One from Delta turned down a recall while in indoc class. Retired military including rotor with fixed experience are showing up. A couple of classes ago, there were "Cold War" enemies sitting together (F15vMIG), and they got along. What is necessary is PIC in an aircraft that requires a type rating. Referral by an ATA crewmember will help get the interview but not guarantee employment. Positive CRM traits, honesty, knowledge, procedures and airwork in the sim ride (727-100 at Purdue) will get you through an enjoyable one-day interview.

ATA has been a great place to work. Flightcrew and FAs wave and smile at each other, walking through the terminal. The ALPA contract is great. It kept the best of the Teamster contract (vac, reserve, quality of life, etc.)

ATA wants your apps to get what they believe are the best crewmembers. From my exposure to the new hires, they are doing an excellent job in the selection process. If you want the job and you have the experience, send in the app. They need qualified applicants.

Good Luck!

Last edited:
ATA app

Send your resume and letter requesting an app to:

ATA Airlines
P.O. Box 51609
Indianapolis, IN 46209-5122

Attn: Helga

This puts you in a data base so that your app will be accepted for review when received.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back