Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CopilotDoug

Captain of Industry
When do they start flying them and when do they get painted?

We have them on the property. So to speak.

The first one out of SAT, our MX contractor, is in April.

Don't have any crews trained, other than CX airman. The bid comes out next month. Supposed to start flying them in June. Somehow, I don't think we're going to make that timeframe.

Thanks Halin. I'm sure they'll look pretty sharp in the ATA paintjob.

I've heard there won't be a new paint job. Just covering up the NWA logos and emblems. Don't know this for fact.

that's a shame. I can see it making "cents" since it's a relatively new paintjob and all, but...bummer. Oh well.

Any ideas how long until ATA can get the DC-10 on the AMC flying. I had heard AMC requires one year on the property before operating for D.O.D. contracts. It will be too bad to see the L-1011 go away as I still enjoy seeing them around the world doing what they were built to do. Won't be much longer until all the steam gauges are gone and the newbies won't know anything about tuning a coffee grinder style ADF or even how to fly an NDB approach.

Any ideas how long until ATA can get the DC-10 on the AMC flying. I had heard AMC requires one year on the property before operating for D.O.D. contracts. It will be too bad to see the L-1011 go away as I still enjoy seeing them around the world doing what they were built to do. Won't be much longer until all the steam gauges are gone and the newbies won't know anything about tuning a coffee grinder style ADF or even how to fly an NDB approach.
Or fly without autothrottles.

Why are the L1011 going away? I have been told it is a much better airplane than the DC10.

I have also heard they are a nice pilots airplane. Not that great of a performer long range and heavy. My guess is that they are becoming more and more of maint. nightmares. I have heard that due to such a short production run that cost of maint and spare parts is high.

I believe ATA is operating about three L-10's until the DC-10's are up and running. I think they may be the last L-10 operator period. Anybody know of any foreign L-10 operators remaining? The story we were told back in 2003 was the L-10's were to be replaced by 767's but ATA couln't get the military to commit to more than ATA wanted so the deal never went through (who knows the real story..maybe Hal does).

People that I spoke with there had fond memories of the L-1011, but they were mx hogs. Don't know more than that. I never flew it, never bid to fly it, never even rode on it...looked up front once..nice and roomy.

Latest resources

Back