AT&T mMode question...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ILLINI

I'm currently using a Sprint PCS cell phone (yeah I know mistake number 1) and i'm not very happy with it at all. There have been many times that people haven't been able to get through to me or calls go straight through to my voicemail, and not too mention absolutely horrible customer service.

I'm looking into a new carrier and i've heard good things about AT&T wireless and Verizon. My question is about AT&T's new "mMode" plan. Has anyone used this yet and how do you like it? I'm interested because I saw a commercial where they show their phone displaying a radar image similar to what you see on intellicast.com. I thought this would be helpful for when i'm on trips to places that don't have good weather computers. If you are using mMode, what features do you like the best? What is included in your plan and how much does it cost? Are there any additional charges, and for what? Also how is your coverage while on the road, and are you able to use all of the mMode features while you are away from home?

I would appreciate any information and experince you've had with your AT&T wireless phone or with mMode from AT&T.

Thanks!

Hummmm, I guess the grass is always greener on the other side.

I have AT&T nationwide, one-rate. Personally, I hate it from the standpoint of call quality. Quite often, I can't hear who I'm talking to, or they can't hear me. I live in Atlanta and have been told not to expect wireless web anytime soon as they told me there are no plans for this market. The phone does work in many sparsely populated areas.

I've seriously been thinking about switching to Sprint. Both carriers have plans for "the next generation" networks this year. Maybe we should both just wait a few more months.

I'm surprised they don't have wireless web in Atlanta. I'm in Maine and have it..

I've been using AT&T for a couple years. $39 a month for 600 anytime, and 2000 nights and weekends. Never have a problem with phone clarity or quality. Maybe you have a defective phone.

Had Sprint and ATT, cancelled both. Have Cingular now. Best service I have had with very few drops.

There is wireless web in Atlanta- at least with Cingular.
http://onlinestore.cingular.com/web...gId=14301&ratePlanType=Data&storeAlias=atlbmi

Click on the "click here" slice for coverage areas by zip code. Looks like they are all covered.

hmm...looks like the link won't copy over completely.

Just go to cingular.com, select your city and state, and then click on the "wireless data" link on the top.

Last edited:
scream'n jet started a good thread last December called "Which cell phone rates are best?" Several members gave their opinions about the providers they were using.

I was specifically interested to see if anyone was using AT&T's new mMode plan. What exactly is it and how do you like it? I was kind of confused trying to understand exactly how the plan worked by looking through the AT&T wireless website.

Thanks everyone!

I use AT&T, and have been pretty happy with them. I have heard that in some geographical areas, other providers have better coverage. I do not have an mMode phone, but I did research it. Here is the deal:

mMode utilizes a technology called GSM/GPRS. I have no idea what that stands for, but it basically means that your phone is always "connected." The wireless internet is really cool, and you would be able to access weather maps and stuff like that. YOu can also send and receive email on any POP/SMTP email account! However, you are billed by the amount of data that you transfer through the network. They have several pre-packaged plans that include a fixed amount of data that you can transfer, plus a charge for each additional kilobyte. These plans are ***IN ADDITION TO*** your calling plan. If you don't buy a data plan, you can still use wireless internet on your phone, but it is billed at 3 cents per kilobyte. That can add up pretty quick if you use it much at all.

Basically, It is pretty neat, and relatively affordable, but I just didn't think the utility justified the cost since I have access to my email and the internet all day here at work anyway. When I return to the line, and I'm travelling a lot more, I may look into it again.

I'm using Nextel.

Used to work at "Cingular" and had a Verizon phone while I was there. As long as more suckers were activating than leaving, they didn't care. When pac bell went to Cingular, the billing was a mess. When GTE went to Verizon, I got collection agencies calling me (five of 'em) for a supposed $200 bill. GTE/Verizon has no record of any bill, nor who to inform to get the collection agencies off me. Two lawyer letters, sent to all of the collections, including Verizon, made the $200 tab go away. Of course it made a few $$ go away from me too.

As for Nextel, well, some podunk places there ain't coverage. Period. (Verizon's wasn't too hot there either.)

My tough as nails motorola phone quit after 3 months. Presto! New one shipped out.

Exceeded their highest rate plan by a few thousand minutes. Presto! New rate plan and "ala carte minutes" available. (I'm on free incoming, had over 6000 minutes the first month, 2000 incoming)

Direct connect? No longer needed the ala carte minutes as 56% of the business clients are on the same system and don't have to call. They two-way radio me. Then the boss got on the system and I downgraded the rate plan. We don't have to call each other to leave messages. I send a call alert, the boss calls when he lands (or direct connects).

I've had two quality assurance calls from Nextel. Verizon and pac bell don't give a hoot.

Even if my cell phone doesn't reach a cell tower, SAR crews can trace my signal and find me. Verizon's don't register on SAR equipment and Pac Bell's just barely shows. Crashed on a side of a mountain somewhere without an ELT, I just have to wait 30 minutes after my ETA and start attempting calls.

Fly SAFE!
Jedi Nein

Hey JediNein,

I use nextel also and have a lot of places that it doesn't work. What is this SAR thing i have never heard of it? I am on a nationwide plan. Which plan do you have? Has far as the two-way it only works in my state and a little in to surrounding states. Not all over the states. I have had my share of trouble with nextel. Never recieved any quality assurance calls either. How did you luck out? I threated to cx my phone and they sent me a new phone.

Latest resources

Back