• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Astra SPX pt. 135 Charter companies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Can go and being safe to go aren't always synonymous with one another. Loss one or have a rapid decompression and you end up swimming the last 500 miles...i.e. wet footprint, thus not ETOPS worthy. If you really need me to grab the manual and look some stuff up, I could probably manage. The SPX I'm thinking of didn't have the extended tanks, so at the 5:15 mark you were looking for a place to land. So add the extra 800 lbs and maybe you are about 5:45 and it's time to land.

Call Rob at Bridgeford... They had an Astra on cert...

It can do it... I have done all kinds of over water in IAI aircraft... you just have to know that you may very well swim. I would not do it again... I like 3 engines and a SE driftdown to 330 these days.

LB

I haven't flown an Astra in a few years. The airplane is capable of doing the trip from the mainland to Hawaii, but if the wrong things happen at the wrong time you're going to end up swimming. The SPX that I used to fly did this trip in the past and I know that people do it, but I don't think it's wise. Just my opinion. Sure the water's warm, but that's not a part of my flight planning paradigm. It's been a while since I looked in to it, so take my opinion for what it's worth, but as I recall there were contingencies that left you with a big splashing sound in place of the chirping of rubber on runway.

Last edited:
... The airplane is capable of doing the trip from the mainland to Hawaii, but if the wrong things happen at the wrong time you're going to end up swimming....

Then are we to assume that all you folks that say this, put that statement in your pax brief?

Unbelievable!

If you operate an Astra to HI you should have your head examined. With that said, I see them there all the time parked right next to the dopes in Hawkers. The Astra is NOT an overwater airplane. Besides not having enough fuel it does not have an IRS/IRU.

We used to have one and we would charter a Falcon 50 for the boss when he wanted to go there.

I was a factory pilot for Astra Jet and have taken the airplane around the world to the most remote places many times. Great airplane! If you are interested in a California based operator familiar with the airplane, PM me.

AirJosh, we operate 4 and operate airplanes based all over. As someone already mentioned I work for Wing Aviation. PM me and I can give the low down and find someone that can help you out, even if its not us.

Latest resources

Back