Astra SPX pt. 135 Charter companies

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AirJosh1

Our boss is looking to buy an Astra SPX and would like a company that has experience with this aircraft to charter it when he's not flying. Does anyone know any companies that charter this A/C? Charter Hub shows 0.

What part of the country is the aircraft located? I know a few places and some are better than others.

Most likely we will base operations in either CA or AZ but will be looking at all options. Could you list operators regardless of locations? Thanks.

If you have any pull what so ever I would try to get the owner to go with Executive Jet Management. That's good for everybody. I think they currently operate two SPXs and one straight Astra.

Otherwise, JetSelect out of Columbus, OH has an Astra SPX on their certificate. It's based in BCT. JetSelect has bases in SDL and VNY as well. However, JetSelect doesn't seem to know how to charter an Astra. They have about 9 Lear 60s and that is what they specialize in chartering.

Priester Aviation out of PWK has an Astra SPX that is based in FL. Priester has aircraft all over the country, but they seem to specialize in retail charter and not necessarily broker trips. So if the owner is looking for a lot of charter revenue, Priester might not be for him.

Reynolds Jet dba Air 10 out of LUK has an SPX or two. The CP is a good guy and Air 10 seems to be a good place to work. I don't know exactly how much flying they do however. I think enough, but they don't have any bases outside of LUK that I know of.

Wing Aviation out of HOU has a couple of SPXs. I know there are a couple of Wing guys on FI, so you might be able to get the low down from them. From what I understand Wing is a good company, but I don't think they have anything outside of Houston.

Air Charters, Inc. out of TEB has one. I don't know anything about them however.

Well, as you might be able to tell, I have a few contacts at some of those companies. Let me know if you need some help and might need another pilot. Whatever you do, if the owner wants to save some money don't base it with a company inside the VNY FSDO district.

JetShare US in Sarasota, FL has had a few Astras on their certificate in the past. From what I know, they did quite well chartering them. They are a small operation and will certainly give you personalized service when it comes to managing the aircraft. PM me if you need more info or a contact phone/e-mail.

You could try Segrave Aviation who is now part of Delta Air Elite. I do not know if they are in the market for or have experience with an Astra, but they are aggresively seeking new aircraft to manage and charter. They have a roaming fleet so it should not be a problem to base it where you wish. From what owners have said, they also have great management contracts that work well for the aircraft owner.

Thanks for all the great info Lear Wanna Be and Starcheckdriver! Things are changing daily so we'll see what happens...Do any of you know if the SPX qualifies for ETOP's say for a charter SFO-HNL? I know one of the numbers needed is a single eng cruise speed that most older A/C don't have in their performance numbers so even if you have the legs, can't get certified. Thanks again.

I don't believe so. The Astra SPX/G100 doesn't perform as well as the Lear 60 and the 60 has a wet foot print going from California to Hawaii.

Lear 60...S.L. to FL410=20 minutes.....Astra SPX from S.L. to FL410=35 minutes. Astra out of FL350 and climbing...300 (yeah, 3 hundred) to 400 fpm...so just imagine your drift down in the thing.

Don't fly an Astra to Hawaii. You're gonna swim if anything goes wrong. Even with the extension tank installed.

I don't believe so. The Astra SPX/G100 doesn't perform as well as the Lear 60 and the 60 has a wet foot print going from California to Hawaii.

Lear 60...S.L. to FL410=20 minutes.....Astra SPX from S.L. to FL410=35 minutes. Astra out of FL350 and climbing...300 (yeah, 3 hundred) to 400 fpm...so just imagine your drift down in the thing.

I'm not so sure about that... An old Astra SP yes to 35 mins. The SPX we have made 410 in about 25 mins with pretty heavy weights.

My understanding is that the Astra SPX can make CA to Hawaii no problem, even under Part 135. I understand that to be a 6 hour aircraft with IFR reserves, which should be good to make Hawaii unless there are really strong winds. I am posting based on what some Astra pilots have told me. I have no experience with the plane.

Latest resources

Back