Astra SP vs Citation III

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

cptsesso

We are trying to decide between these two, so lets not waste time throwing in other aircraft.

Conditions are east coast, S.L., 5500ft rnwy. Trips consist of east coast, midwest, and some west coast.

Which would you recommend and give reasons.

Also, the Astra is looking to be about $1.4m above the Citation, so figure that into your recommendation.

Thanks.

You get more range with the Astra, but narrower cabin I believe. SPX can be had for 8-9 mil. Coast to coast year round. No APU on some though.

Astra/SP with extension tanks has good performance and range. A little under powered relative to the SPX/G100. It does have some CG issues with full fuel and Pax.
With extension tanks at LRC its a 6 hour flight but a 4 hour cabin..In other words its a narrow cabin...

Our company has one for sale, its being replaced by a G100...
Sorry no CIII time.
Good Luck

I thought the Astra was a rwy hog. I could be wrong.

So is the III. Better range with the Astra. Don't know about the Astra, but the III can be a MX nightmare. If you are set on a C650 consider a VII - They worked out all the kinks from the III and VI.

I've flown an SP a few times, all my Astra time is in SPX so I'll speak of that.....

Astra SPX isn't what I'd consider a runway hog. It performs well and has good legs on reasonable fuel burn and the one that I flew was really low time, but didn't seem too expensive to own. It is for sale, a real nice airframe if you're looking, 1300ish TTAF)

It's weak spot is absolutely the narrow cabin, but if you're not routinely flying 4+ hours then it's probably not too big a deal.

No Citation time to speak of, so I can't help there. But I think at least an SPX/G100 would fit your mission well.

While I haven't flown the Astra you might want to compare the manufacturer support between the two. Gulfstream is legendary for it's support.

...but the III can be a MX nightmare. If you are set on a C650 consider a VII - They worked out all the kinks from the III and VI.
+1 for the III comment. My previous operator had a Citation III for 3 or 4 months and it was down for mx the majority of its tenure. Didn't make one trip without a mechanical (ACM bearing failure---smoke in cabin/cockpit, Hydraulic Leak, Radar failure...)

In talking with the pilots of it, it had range issues too (many times planning a fuel stop)

You can pick them up for a SWEET deal...for a reason, IMO

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back