Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FLYLOW22

So what's the story with ASTAR?

What is it like to work there? I've seen the pay but what about the rest?

From a new guy.

Been here at ASTAR about 6 mos. It is a great place to work. Lineholder schedule is 7on 7off. Reserve is 8on 6off. Hot reserve and X-line (buildup line) is 14 days off (28 day bid). 13 bid periods per year. I have held an X-line since I got off IOE. Pretty close to holding a hard line.

We have hired about 30 since December. Mostly to the 727 SO but a few have gone to DC8 SO. All new hires are assigned the SO seat. They may run a new hire class in Aug.

Upgrades: 10-11 yrs to CA. 6-8 years to FO. Pay is good after the first year. Health insurance is cheap and coverage is good. Lots of sick time. Really good 401k: 1-5yrs 9% company contribution, 5-10 yrs 12%, 10+ years 15%.

Our trip trade system is really good too. Pilots can trade really easily and crew scheduling is easy to work with too.

The company is moving all operations to ILN (Wilmington, OH) from CVG in September. DHL owns the airport and is centralizing operations there.

You can book a jumpseat online to and from work up to 30 days in advance. I think about 70-75% of the pilots commute so this is very important. Jumpseats are first-come, first-serve. We do have a commuter clause so if the plane breaks or flight cancels you don't get in trouble.

I love it here so far. Plan to stay. Hope this helps.

S2B said:
Been here at ASTAR about 6 mos. It is a great place to work. Lineholder schedule is 7on 7off. Reserve is 8on 6off. Hot reserve and X-line (buildup line) is 14 days off (28 day bid). 13 bid periods per year. I have held an X-line since I got off IOE. Pretty close to holding a hard line.

We have hired about 30 since December. Mostly to the 727 SO but a few have gone to DC8 SO. All new hires are assigned the SO seat. They may run a new hire class in Aug.

Upgrades: 10-11 yrs to CA. 6-8 years to FO. Pay is good after the first year. Health insurance is cheap and coverage is good. Lots of sick time. Really good 401k: 1-5yrs 9% company contribution, 5-10 yrs 12%, 10+ years 15%.

Our trip trade system is really good too. Pilots can trade really easily and crew scheduling is easy to work with too.

The company is moving all operations to ILN (Wilmington, OH) from CVG in September. DHL owns the airport and is centralizing operations there.

You can book a jumpseat online to and from work up to 30 days in advance. I think about 70-75% of the pilots commute so this is very important. Jumpseats are first-come, first-serve. We do have a commuter clause so if the plane breaks or flight cancels you don't get in trouble.

I love it here so far. Plan to stay. Hope this helps.

Do you happen to know what kind of backgrounds the 30 new hires had? Was it mostly regionals/military ? Any 135 or corp guys?

>If you like being a FE for at least 5 years.<

I'd say that's better than being furloughed, wouldn't you? Like S2B said, we've got a very good QOL here. Also one of the top four for pay in the industry in the US right now.

Boeing747Driver said:
If you like being a FE for at least 5 years.

While it is a bit of a drag being in the backseat for that period of time, my retirement is still in place, I have a good quality of life with the ability to take 4-5 weeks off at a time and still make more than a right seater at United.

One of the best perks is we don't have to get harrassed by TSA anymore....or disrespected by the pax who always joke about pilots and drinking and such...

backseater said:
While it is a bit of a drag being in the backseat for that period of time, my retirement is still in place, I have a good quality of life with the ability to take 4-5 weeks off at a time and still make more than a right seater at United.

I never said it was a bad company. I just stated that you will be an FE for at least 5 years. I have a little knowledge of the company being I worked there DC-8 in a previous life.

Latest resources

Back