Astar hurting DHL?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

olldadice

I recently spoke with someone who had a conversation with an executive of a large corporation recently. This executive said that they where interested in signing a contract with DHL to service their mutli-billion dollar eye wear distribution, but when told that "stations that are serviced by Airborne, we can guarantee next day by 1030 service, but stations that are serviced by Astar we can only guarantee 2-day service..." this company decided they had to take their business elsewhere. They wanted to go with DHL but could not run a business efficiently with those delays. Doesn't sound like a good way to run a company. Not flaming, just wondering.

Also not trying to flame, since you spoke with someone who spoke with someone, but how would an executive of any large company know which stations were serviced by Airborne and which ones were serviced by ASTAR?

ROFLMAO. These threads certainly do make for interesting reading. I'd say your buddy was gravely mistaken. Astar runs 99% on time. Just like ABX Air does, I'm sure.

Not privvy to the conversation, but this guy wouldn't make this stuff up. Exec is his neighbor and knows he is an Airborne pilot, he approached him concerned for DHL's future, not to slam Astar. He told me, a little concerned for Airbornes future. Do you guys get this a lot? You seem a little defensive.

Good rule of thumb: If somebody makes a controversial post on the very first day they register a screen name on flightinfo, then they are probably just having some fun with the flame bait.

Yeah, this is my first day posting here, amazing how my post has been treated already. Since I am new, must be BS, huh? Have you ever heard anything that piques your interest one way or the other?

I wouldn't call my post controversial, rather a simple thread of conversation. If you or anyone else is offended and can't discuss this with professionalism, move on.

I don't know what DHL does with the freight after it leaves the airplane. I do know that I just got my part of the bonus DHL paid out to Astar for exceeding contractual on time performance. I don't think that DHL has "trouble" with either airline. I'd say your friend was given some bad information.

"..........but when told that "stations that are serviced by Airborne, we can guarantee next day by 1030 service, but stations that are serviced by Astar we can only guarantee 2-day service

What the hay, I'll take a shot at it. Here's a possible scenario that could easily have occured and why there's no way this is a relevant post to either AStar or ABX...

Biz Exec talks to someone at DHL about changing to DHL. OK so who'd they talk to? An acct rep? A DHL(Airborne) driver, somebody they met on the golf course? We don't know, so there's no way to know whether or not the person they talked to, didn't know what they were talking about, OR, was a former Airborne or current ABX person who believed this to be true or had a personal agenda OR whether they were just talking out their....uh you know.

Bottom line..."but when told that...." By who? In what context? Was the person the "executive" talking to someone reliable or just someone who stayed at a Holiday Inn last night? Either way, if someone said it they were incorrect. The DHL operation is on it's way to being integrated so unless you contract with ABX or AStar outside of DHL, you won't know one way or the other.

Not denying the conversation happened......it's just irrelevant.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back