Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

pmmartin

Hello All,

I have a pending job offer from Astar for the May 5th class. Seems like a good company with quality people. I can deal with the first year pay cut, but I'm really worried about the upgrade time. A few years on the panel is no problem, but 8-9 years, Ouch! I can't go 3 weeks without flying and not notice the difference. So far no luck finding something part-time corporate. Any Astar folks who can give any insight regarding new(er) airplanes, expansion, re-fleet, etc. would be much appreciated. I read most of the older posts so I have some idea what's going on.

Thanks

Hey PM, plenty of recent posts on what's going on here at AAC. Pretty much sums it up. We may grow, we may not. We don't, you're an SO for over a decade. We grow, maybe less than a decade.

You wouldn't happen to be flying out of BHM now would you?

If so, I might be able to meet you and bring you up to speed on things.

Unfortunately for you, your class date comes just prior to May's announcement by DHL. What will it be? Who knows, but I believe it will create a clearer picture of things to come (or not come)for Astar. I would say, come on over, wait for May's announcement, if you don't like it, run like hell. Things are finally coming to a head and the entire summer will be an interesting time around here. It is a crap shoot just like anything else in life.

You can't go 3 weeks without flying?
Personally, I'd gladly sit sideways for 8-9 years, especially since it will be just short of a 6 figure position.

Unfortunately for you, your class date comes just prior to May's announcement by DHL. What will it be? Who knows, but I believe it will create a clearer picture of things to come (or not come)for Astar. I would say, come on over, wait for May's announcement, if you don't like it, run like hell. Things are finally coming to a head and the entire summer will be an interesting time around here. It is a crap shoot just like anything else in life.

I know you said you don't know what the May announcement for the DHL plans will be, but do you think it will have to do with air operations? The reason I ask is because that would clearly be a case of poop running uphill. The problems that are causing DHL to lose a billion $$ a year are clearly the customers that came with the Airborne purchase are running as if the hills are on fire. Whatever they are doing different are pushing customers away. While the air operations have problems, they do not equate to the customer losses. There were problems with integration similar to what DHL is experiencing again over in Europe. But that was a long time ago and to have continued customer loss is a long shot to blame air. I feel (not that that means anything) the problems are within the ground network they have so screwed up. I think that is why the FedEx rumors were being tossed around. They were talking because thats where the problems are. Now if Fred said something like; yes we will take your ground delivery operations to remote locations but only if we get some or all of the air operations, then it gets real bad. Until then I do not see, hope we do not see, a loss in the air operations. You can't spread butter that thin and have it be butter.

Last edited:
Hello All,

I have a pending job offer from Astar for the May 5th class. Seems like a good company with quality people. I can deal with the first year pay cut, but I'm really worried about the upgrade time. A few years on the panel is no problem, but 8-9 years, Ouch! I can't go 3 weeks without flying and not notice the difference. So far no luck finding something part-time corporate. Any Astar folks who can give any insight regarding new(er) airplanes, expansion, re-fleet, etc. would be much appreciated. I read most of the older posts so I have some idea what's going on.

Thanks

Expansion and growth depend on how much the company wants back in pay and work rules to obtain the 76's. Right now they say Polar is more competitive and we are in talks. We will see. If we do get the 76's than it may be great, unless they decide to park the buses. You would then probably be furloughed (unless its within the first 2 yrs of the contract signing) do to over staffing.

Just a guess. Anything could happen though, the stars could align and you could be sittin pretty. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
Expansion and growth depend on how much the company wants back in pay and work rules to obtain the 76's. Right now they say Polar is more competitive and we are in talks. We will see. If we do get the 76's than it may be great, unless they decide to park the buses. You would then probably be furloughed do to over staffing.

Just a guess. Anything could happen though, the stars could align and you could be sittin pretty. Good luck with your decision.

Where did you hear you were getting 76's? Rumor or are you and maintenance training for them? ABX has and is still looking for every good 76 they can get their hands on. Behind the power curve for the 76 just like every cargo operator is behind the power curve for 75's since FedEx will be sucking up every one that comes available.

Where did you hear you were getting 76's? Rumor or are you and maintenance training for them? ABX has and is still looking for every good 76 they can get their hands on. Behind the power curve for the 76 just like every cargo operator is behind the power curve for 75's since FedEx will be sucking up every one that comes available.

Talking about the DHL ER's shooter. None others.

Talking about the DHL ER's shooter. None others.

Those new ones DHL bought? I would have sworn those would have gone to their EU airline since they are ER's exclusive to international flights. Good to hear American pilots could still be in the running for them. Our economy needs every job it can get.

p.s. And that was before all the people that lost their jobs from the airlines that just shut down.
p.p.s. SCREW OPEN SKIES!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back