Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flyc46

Hi,
Was wondering if anyone can set me straight about ASTAR Air Cargo? Who are they? How long have they been around? Did they buy out DHL? Does the aviation branch of DHL still exist? What's the relationship with Airborne Express and DHL? Anyone here work for ASTAR? Lots of questions. Thanks.

flyc46 said:
Hi,
Was wondering if anyone can set me straight about ASTAR Air Cargo? Who are they? How long have they been around? Did they buy out DHL? Does the aviation branch of DHL still exist? What's the relationship with Airborne Express and DHL? Anyone here work for ASTAR? Lots of questions. Thanks.

Who are they? The airline formerly known as DHL Airways

How long have they been around? I don't know, 30 years maybe as DHL Airways, 2 years as AStar.

Did they buy out DHL? No, DHL sold it's remaining shares of DHL Airways to a group of investors who changed the name. Same certificate. Same planes, crews, same gig.

Does the aviation branch of DHL still exist? Only under a contract basis that now includes ABX as well.

What's the relationship with Airborne Express and DHL? AStar and ABX Air (formerly Airborne) are now ACMI airlines that compete for DHL's biz. ABX also provides ground services to DHL. Separate companies, pilot groups, fleets, routes. Same customer and soon to be hub.

Anyone here work for ASTAR? yes, several

Someone else can probably answer it alot better than I, but here goes.

ASTAR operates the yellow planes (and older colors) with DHL on the side. Their main sort hub is ILN. They were just hiring for the side saddle on the 72 not too long ago. They've got 727 (and Airbuses?).

ABEX does all the flying for the Airborne Express system with their main hub being CVG and they've got 767, DC-9s and DC-8s (as far as I know). They have Airbone Express on the side of the aircraft.

V2plus25 said:
Someone else can probably answer it alot better than I, but here goes.

ASTAR operates the yellow planes (and older colors) with DHL on the side. Their main sort hub is ILN. They were just hiring for the side saddle on the 72 not too long ago. They've got 727 (and Airbuses?).

ABEX does all the flying for the Airborne Express system with their main hub being CVG and they've got 767, DC-9s and DC-8s (as far as I know). They have Airbone Express on the side of the aircraft.

Boy did you screw that up!

New hire class at Astar starting the 29th, 727 SO and DC8 SO. Good company, good pay, good people...

Rhoid said:
Boy did you screw that up!

Then why dont you help him sort that out alittle bit?

ASTAR operates the yellow planes, their base is in CVG. Some planes are still in the old DHL colors. They have 727, 757, DC-8's, A300's.

ABX Air (airborne express) Has their base in ILN (they own the airport). They fly DC-9's, DC-8's, 767-200's.

Honestly color of the planes mean nothing. ABX= DC-9, DC-8 with skinny engines, 767. Some of each type is painted yellow

Astar does not own 757's. That would be one of the 3 or so European outfits that moves DHL freight. Only 727's, DC-8's, and old Airbus 300's (all 3 man crew airplanes).

correction

"(they own the airport)"

DHL owns the airport, it was part of the deal. Soon both ACMI's will be in ILN (Oct I think).

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back