Astar close to a contract?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

356emain

There was a post on the Yahoo board that said Astar would have a contract by the end of the week. If it is true it does not look good for ABX with the new DHL plan coming out shortly.

???

There was a post on the Yahoo board that said Astar would have a contract by the end of the week. If it is true it does not look good for ABX with the new DHL plan coming out shortly.

I wouldn't put to much credence into that post. In fact, I personally won't believe it until the first check arrives with the new pay scale in it.:D

FAJ

Whether or not Astar has a new CBA with it's pilots doesn't change the fact that somebody has to fly the freight and Astar doesn't have enough planes or people to get the job done.

You are quite wrong about that. The lift numbers in ILN are barely exceeding 3 mil pounds per night. Astar was pulling that weight before it left CVG. I would imagine the new DHL plan would further drop that number and send more freight to trucks. ILN will be a one airline town soon just because of the amount of freight to be flown.

You are quite wrong about that. The lift numbers in ILN are barely exceeding 3 mil pounds per night. Astar was pulling that weight before it left CVG. I would imagine the new DHL plan would further drop that number and send more freight to trucks. ILN will be a one airline town soon just because of the amount of freight to be flown.

So what DHL will just tell it's newest customer (Walgreens) to heck with that overnight thing. We can guarantee 2, maybe 3 day, oh heck lets just call it a even week delivery.......

Not sure what the fascination is with the Astar guys about shrinking back to there original size. Growth is the way to secure jobs and prosper in a DHL environment.

And yes I do believe that DHL will have to eventually have 1 airline in the US, and no I do not really care if it is Astar, Abx, Polar, CHI, or whomever as long as I have a job and that the pay scale is representative of the largest express carrier in the world.

Last edited:

What you suggest is possible if DHL plans to be a fading also ran in the U.S. market, then the world. I really don't think that's in the cards. I certainly hope not, for all our sakes.

The problem with the Astar people and the DHL people is exactly what fodc8 said:

"You are quite wrong about that. The lift numbers in ILN are barely exceeding 3 mil pounds per night. Astar was pulling that weight before it left CVG. I would imagine the new DHL plan would further drop that number and send more freight to trucks."

At what point do you stop pretending you bought an "express" company and that you don't know what express is...trucks are not express. Cutting cities does not improve customer service. 10:30 means 10:00. Through stopping in excess breeds poorer service.

20+ years in CVG and they were completely happy with 40ish planes and god knows how many contract people (I've seen there old old ramp-everything from 747's to piper singles, seriously.)

Give Astar the keys and DHL will be at .0005% market share in no time.

Fact: DHL pulls out of the US in any matter and UPS and Fedex will put the entire DHL product out of business in less than 5 years, guaranteed.

With the news about FDX looking at the DHL US ops it will be very interesting to see if Dasburg signs off on a new contract. Any news on how the talks are going?

Latest resources

Back