• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Astar buys Kitty Hawk

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I thought it was interesting to hear mgmt reference the demise of KHA several times in the CC this morning.

The floors are different on the C container airplanes than on the A container airplanes. You can't just roll C's into an A container airplane.

The A container DC8 aircraft have a floor system that can be inserted into the A container tracks which allow the loading of C containers. They've never done this with any other airplane type. I don't know what would be involved to develop and certify such a system.

There are a number of places where an A container airplane carries freight from ILN to an out station where the freight is loaded onto a C container DC9. If the A container airplane is an Astar airplane (such as in SLC) the freight must be transferred from the A into C's. When it's an ABX airplane (767) the C's are loaded into the 767's belly so that they can be rolled off the 767 and rolled right back onto the DC9.

The floors are different on the C container airplanes than on the A container airplanes. You can't just roll C's into an A container airplane.

The A container DC8 aircraft have a floor system that can be inserted into the A container tracks which allow the loading of C containers. They've never done this with any other airplane type. I don't know what would be involved to develop and certify such a system.

There are a number of places where an A container airplane carries freight from ILN to an out station where the freight is loaded onto a C container DC9. If the A container airplane is an Astar airplane (such as in SLC) the freight must be transferred from the A into C's. When it's an ABX airplane (767) the C's are loaded into the 767's belly so that they can be rolled off the 767 and rolled right back onto the DC9.

To the best of my knowledge none of the ABX A container aircraft (767SF) carry C's in the belly. They are set up for LD containers. The 767PC carries a version of the C in the belly.

'preciate the info, eric and LJ.

I see one of the few (2?) ABX DC-8s in DTW all the time. Do they really fly that from ILN to DTW to sit all day, or is that plane doing other work? We try to keep the planes that are getting low on time on the short runs. That way, we guarantee that we have a bunch of airplanes in heavy mx at the same time...:rolleyes:

'preciate the info, eric and LJ.

I see one of the few (2?) ABX DC-8s in DTW all the time. Do they really fly that from ILN to DTW to sit all day, or is that plane doing other work? We try to keep the planes that are getting low on time on the short runs. That way, we guarantee that we have a bunch of airplanes in heavy mx at the same time...:rolleyes:

DTW is the only scheduled run we have left on the DC-8's. It will be gone very soon.

Modified Belly's

To the best of my knowledge none of the ABX A container aircraft (767SF) carry C's in the belly. They are set up for LD containers. The 767PC carries a version of the C in the belly.

Ten of the 767PC aircraft have had a modified manual roller floor installed in them that allows standard LD containers in the bellies. DHL likes this for the C-Containers topside and LD8 containers for the oversize freight in the belly (best of both worlds). The balance of the fleet is awaiting DHL approval for conversion.

To the best of my knowledge none of the ABX A container aircraft (767SF) carry C's in the belly.

I don't know. I flew the RIV-BFI-YVR trip a number of months ago (before they put the 767 on BFI-RIV) and I thought that our C's were coming out of the belly and going right onto our DC9. It certainly was a lot quicker than in SLC where they have to unload the A's from the 727 into C's before they can load the DC9.

The 767s that aren't modified for LDs in the bellies fit a belly C container (are they green? or red?) that will fit in the DC9. I'll bet thats what you saw.

The 767s that aren't modified for LDs in the bellies fit a belly C container (are they green? or red?) that will fit in the DC9. I'll bet thats what you saw.

Yes they are Green and since the Riverside Hub is set up for "C" containers except for the Transmal MD-11, that is where you would see them.

Latest resources

Back