• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Astar/ABX -- Teamster or ALPA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Don't forget the support of all the other DHL Teamsters.
Exactly.

When you’re thinking about Teamster vs ALPA, think about this…

At many of the major US markets, the DHL guys who load and unload the airplanes, and the DHL employees who deliver the product, are Teamsters.

True, when DHL bought Airborne Express, they let go the whole lot of DHL employees who used to do that job and kept the Airborne Express drivers. Those old Airborne (now DHL) drivers are not all contract employees. At many of the major US cities, they are DHL employees, and they’re Teamsters.

Don’t discount what that means. The implication is extremely important, and served us ABX pilots very well over the last 26 years. Nobody can argue that ABX pilots have been amongst the best paid pilots for many years now. Now you know the reason.

We’ve never had to strike to get a decent contract, but the implications that were there if we did, spoke loudly in our favor. If you were threatening a strike, who would you rather have at your side? ALPA pilots from UAL, Delta patting you on the back, telling you they support your cause? Or the guys who actually unload your airplane and deliver the packages? (Trust me, if DHL suddenly brought in another airline with your freight, no Teamster would cross our picket line)

THAT, is reason #1 we’re all better off as Teamsters. There many more.

Alpa has a louder voice in gov't concerning airline business.

Case in point: The age 65 rule change.

I don't want any of my dues going to anyone at ALPA National. I do, however, appreciate several aspects of Astar's contract (Upon cursory examination).
No furluough clause seems like a novel concept.

DirecTV with Sunday NFL Ticket on flat screen TV's in the café and in the crew room.

I can understand the concept of "power in numbers". But if it's such a great thing why are the UPS (IPA) pilots not aligned with the IBT.

Latest resources

Back