• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Astar/ABX -- Teamster or ALPA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don’t think so. Ask some of our gov’t affairs committee members about the reception they get in congressional offices. One of em tells a story about how a bunch of pilots were meeting with various congressmen on some issue. When they were introduced to one of the congressmen in his office, as soon as our guy said he represented Teamsters, the congressman grabbed his hand, pulled him past all the ALPA guys, and sat him down in front. It seems the Teamsters could swing quite a few more votes in the congressman’s district than ALPA. That’ll be true in every congressional district.
We all know money talks in Congress. I don’t know for sure, but I’ll bet the Teamster lobby has more $$ than the ALPA lobby.

When important members of Congress such as Rep. Mica or Senator Oberstar (both important Committee Chairmen that handle pilot issues) want to know where air line pilots stand, they call one place: the ALPA offices. As far as Congress is concerned, there is only one union that represents pilots. Most of them wouldn't even be aware that Teamsters has an airline division, and they certainly haven't heard of the IPA, NPA, FAPA, etc... When they think pilots, they think ALPA.

Are the teamsters back into the AFLCIO.

Nope. In fact, the IBT still owes the AFL-CIO millions in dues from when they skipped out a couple of years ago.

When important members of Congress such as Rep. Mica or Senator Oberstar (both important Committee Chairmen that handle pilot issues) want to know where air line pilots stand, they call one place: the ALPA offices. As far as Congress is concerned, there is only one union that represents pilots. Most of them wouldn't even be aware that Teamsters has an airline division, and they certainly haven't heard of the IPA, NPA, FAPA, etc... When they think pilots, they think ALPA.

Another uninformed pilot, but keep those dues coming ALPA national needs to keep those half million dollar salaries going.

I had no idea (and that's exactly the way Dasburg wants it) that our corperate structure was such. What else does Cabana Boy have hiding up his sleeve.:eek: On second thought, I might not want to know.

That's the beautiful thing about a privately held company, they don't have to tell anyone anything. There are no shareholders to answer to.

A Message from General President Jim Hoffa

June 29, 2007

On Thursday ASTAR Air Cargo Holdings announced its intentions to purchase ABX Air. I assure employees of both companies that as this potential merger proceeds the Teamsters Union is closely monitoring developments and will act to ensure you have a voice.

We will fight for the interests of all employees at ABX and ASTAR. This includes the more than 700 ABX pilots, who are longstanding members of Local 1224 in Wilmington, Ohio and ABX mechanics, sort workers, ground service and other employees who are working to join our union. We are also monitoring the situation of our members and other workers at ASTAR.

Since DHL bought Airborne Express, we have viewed the company and its related parts as an integrated delivery system. More than 12,000 workers in the DHL system are Teamsters and we are working to ensure our members have a strong voice during any change in the workplace.

After DHL recently decided to purchase a greater stake in ASTAR, we encouraged the company to provide an investment in ABX Air. The pending merger of these two companies, along with the significant investment by DHL, opens a new chapter for DHL in North America. While details of the possible merger are still undetermined, we believe that it will ultimately benefit Teamsters and unrepresented workers in the DHL system.

As the merger proceeds over the next several months, I assure all workers in the DHL system that the entire membership and leadership of the Teamsters Union stands with you.

Yeah, who would you rather have standing behind you when push comes to shove? Jimmy Hoffa or John Prator? Hoffa has personally stepped in on our behalf on a number of occasions, always with swift and favorable results.

A large number of us have been ALPA at previous carriers. We know what it means to be represented by ALPA and the majority of us prefer IBT. With the IBT we have much more control over the direction we take while still having the significant support of the Teamsters behind us when it's needed.

With regard to legislative affairs, IBT wins hands down. Our own guys have spent many hours on Captial hill and they report that having "...from the Teamsters" behind their name will open any representative's door. The IBT carriers much more clout on Capital Hill than does ALPA. Our own guys have been there and seen it themselves.

ABXbooger and LJ-ABX, it sounds like the IBT wants ABX to be bought out by ASTAR. Other than increased union membership (ie dues) tell me how it will help the people who do not want to operate under ASTAR or DHL management or the ones who no longer have a job? Or the guys who are lucky to still have a job do not get a chance to upgrade to 767 from the -9 due to ASTAR pilots getting the upgrade? What does the IBT say to them? Just curious as this will most likely be my last aviation job if this goes through.

p.s. thanks for the response in advance.

After DHL recently decided to purchase a greater stake in ASTAR, we encouraged the company to provide an investment in ABX Air. The pending merger of these two companies, along with the significant investment by DHL, opens a new chapter for DHL in North America. While details of the possible merger are still undetermined, we believe that it will ultimately benefit Teamsters and unrepresented workers in the DHL system.

Last edited:
I don't really understand the basis for the question. Haven't we all thought from the day that the DHL buyout was announced that a merged airline would be better for all of us?

I have no idea how the details of the proposed buyout and presumed merge will work as that is yet to be decided. In the long run, a merged airline should provide better security, stability and opportunity for all of the pilots flying the yellow airplanes. Over the short-term, change is always unsettling and stressful but will we get past that.

As you may recall, DHL asked for more 767s in their system but Hete wasn't willing to give them to them at current ACMI rates. After this transaction, I'm thinking that we'll see a lot more 767s going into the DHL system and probably a lot more 767 acquisitions. It is the logical step for replacing all of the current DC8s and A300s. I also foresee the combined airline moving to a DC9/727 replacement as well.

The solution to many of the problems facing both pilot groups is more airplanes and this deal looks like a good step in that direction.

I don't really understand the basis for the question. Haven't we all thought from the day that the DHL buyout was announced that a merged airline would be better for all of us?

I have no idea how the details of the proposed buyout and presumed merge will work as that is yet to be decided. In the long run, a merged airline should provide better security, stability and opportunity for all of the pilots flying the yellow airplanes. Over the short-term, change is always unsettling and stressful but will we get past that.

As you may recall, DHL asked for more 767s in their system but Hete wasn't willing to give them to them at current ACMI rates. After this transaction, I'm thinking that we'll see a lot more 767s going into the DHL system and probably a lot more 767 acquisitions. It is the logical step for replacing all of the current DC8s and A300s. I also foresee the combined airline moving to a DC9/727 replacement as well.

The solution to many of the problems facing both pilot groups is more airplanes and this deal looks like a good step in that direction.

maybe yes, if it were ABX buying out ASTAR maybe I would look at it in a different light because you have a management team in ABX that has been growing the company for over 25 years. The management team at ASTAR could not even get the airline RVSM compliant in time, no purchase of a modern fleet, I just read all the woes posted by the ASTAR pilots on this and other forums. It just looks like the combined airline will be run into the ground and the laughing stock of the industry with their management team. I am sure the pilots and workers are 95% great (like anywhere else) it's the management team that scares me. And if you want to know how I feel about DHL management...whooooo....how much time do you have? That signature line below my posts was created for them. You guys do not even see 1/4 of the BS they come up with. If you only knew what they ask us to try to get you guys to do. whew!

I don't think that either company has a monopoly on bad management. It will be interested to see how management is consolidated if this proposal comes to pass.

Latest resources

Back