• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Aspen Operations

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So, we are slowed and in landing config at Red Table.

Yes, absolutely! I can't believe I left that out. At Red Table you must be at Ref and landing configuration. That means full or landing flaps. This is of course in IMC. However, for first time users I would highly recommend that you shoot the approach in VMC so you can visualize what the approach looks like and what you will have to do in IMC.

Most jet aircraft cannot make a successful landing straight in from the MAP if that is were you break out unless you dang near do aerobatic maneuvers to lose altitude. Do it in VMC first and you will know what I am talking about.

Now, in icing conditions, I also recommend that you get into landing configuration about five or ten miles prior to Red Table. The reason is that you will have to go to flight idle after Red Table to make the step downs and keep your speed anywhere reasonable to land. So have all of the anti-icing surfaces heated up before you start the descent into Aspen.

Also I highly recommend for pilots in jet aircraft that are unfamiliar with Aspen and having to shoot the Red Table VOR/DME approach, if you do not have visual conditions to continue the approach at the Allex intersection, miss the approach and divert. Remember, that approach is a circling approach, not a straight in approach.

I was in Aspen the night the G-III crashed, I don't want to hear about another accident like that one. There needs not to be another one. When in doubt in Aspen, go away and live another day.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back